Used 1994 Honda Civic DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I hate to sell it!
By Proud owner

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1994 Honda Civic hatchback brand new and only use to go grocery shopping and other local driving. It has approx. 43,000 miles on it and is in great condition. I'm thinking about selling it mainly for new and improved safety features. but I hate to let it go!

first car
By jrm

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

This was my first car, got it in high school (DX hatch, 5-spd). Not problem-free but I drove it hard, and it was a blast to drive (I now have an LS1 Camaro which is infinitely faster and more powerful but this Civic was so light it was just a lot of fun). Unfortunately this car was totaled by my sister about 7 years ago. Sometimes I wish I still had it. Gas mileage was an honest 27 city / 32 highway - real numbers not EPA.

Engine was gutless down low but has decent pep from 4500-6500 rpm (don't be scared to rev it), tranny was the best shifting FWD I've ever driven, better than the Mazda R2 in my F-150 and at least as good as the T-56 in my Camaro. Car was light, maneuverable and fun to drive.

CV joints were crap (went through 2 sets), brake rotors warp (2 sets as well). 2nd gear synchro was about gone when it was totaled. A/C not suited to Texas summers (car was black but that's no excuse).

Civic VX
By truespeed01

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Well I just bought my civic and I just love it. I get 40 mpg with its vtec motor under the hood. It has 75000 miles on it and orig bought it to do a motor swap. But the stock motor is so great I am gonna hold off a few more weeks and enjoy the great gas mileage. As far as the inside the cup holders are the worst ever your better off using the center console and the seat. The stock seats are horrible and I added some seats front a newer RSX type S.As far as the interior other than the seats everything is nice I also replaced the dash lights with led bulbs to brighten them up a bit. Car Is fun to drive and is a great platform to build off of. With the swap it runs 13's and gets 30 mpg.Yay crvtec!

The weight and the gas mileage And soon to be 13 sec quarter mile and 30 mpg

Needs better cup holders better front seats and a twin cam engine 2.0 liter.

Best little car I've ever owned
By Joyce in Ohio

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

My Honda has 288,000+ on the odometer and is still going strong. The steering on this car is phenomenal. I have NEVER lost control, even in snow ice, on crowded highways and ducking clueless motorists. What astounds me is that I continue to get between 40 and 45 mpg, even at 11 years later and the engine does not seem to burn oil. It has never let me down and has only failed to start when I left the headlights on. Normal maintenance for this car has been really minimal (i.e., I ignored it).

First, the ease of handling. Second, the fuel economy. Best, the utter reliability.

One improvement: Let me know that I've left my headlights on!

163k and still going
By YamInIA

1994 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

i bought her used w/135K on her, and even tho the body is rough, the engine is fantastic. i change the oil, and am taking her in this month for the timing belt/w.pump r&r. i doubt its ever been done, and is recc.every 70K or so. i use this car to commute avg.of 150 miles/day, and it never fails me. handles well in winter conditions due to low/wide build. i LOVE the 5spd manual trans..is so fun, and good mpg too. I love this car so much, i'm putting about $1000 into her to get her looking nice and getting the engine to 100% performance. most would say it isn't worth it, but i bet its only used 1/2 its 'life'. hoping to get 300K+ before she calls it quits.

zippy stock 5spd. trans

the cup holders are awful. possible heavier body metal..dents easily.