Used 1993 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Amazing vehicle
By gabe

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Got car with 150K and unknown maintenance record. Used for commute and some long road trips (1,000+ miles) without any problem. Very frugal on fuel and maintenance, good brakes, decent takeoff, good steering and handling, seats 4 w/comfort, heating/cooling OK, good trunk space. The bad: Engine started burning oil at 175K miles. I like mechanics so I did a partial rebuilt (piston rings were worn) and took care of things that mechanics could not (e.g. oil leaks). Cost: about $400 (parts+tools) Car has run great ever since; now at 205K miles gets 25-29mpg in only-city driving and 35-40mpg hwy. We got stranded only once when ignition coil died at 197k miles. Overall, I love the car!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, handling, sharp shifting (manual trans) even after 205K!!!. Quality: OE radiator lasted 198K miles, OE clutch lasted 180K+ miles. Brake cylinder replaced 2k miles ago. Engine trouble came after 175K (which is 11+ years of driving).

Suggested Improvements

Rust in rear wheel wells (chronic problem w/model); too much road noise; seating position may be too low for some. A/C may use some extra air flow. DX trim means only power steering and A/C Not too much to complain in an econobox; it'll take you from A to B with no problem.

awesome
By marcbobson

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

this car is amazing. i bought it with about 100K miles on it, and have put 60K miles in just 2 years or so. The MPG is insane; even though its rated at 39 MPG, i routinely obtain 42-45 MPG. The car is so reliable its amazing. I put 80 mi per day on it, and it hasn't broken down once. Just basic repairs like brakes. I would recommend this car to anyone. Only downside is it doesn't have a lot of pep/pick-up, especially on hills--but hey if you want 45 MPG from a car built 15 years ago, you have to accept the downside.

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

I'd say stronger engine but then I'd lose the MPG so I'll say it can't be improved upon.

Long lasting
By MG

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My civic was bought it Texas.The original owner took it to Toronto, then moved to Montreal, I bought it in 2005 for $2200 I drove from Montreal to Banff with a cost of $310 in gas, ACROSS THE COUNTRY. Since I've had it I put about $1100in repairs and maintenance, brake cylinder, radiator, thermo, bushings. Nothing major.

Favorite Features

low cost..

Suggested Improvements

I do lots of skiing, even with winter tires very low traction, I damaged my radiator driving in snow that was about 1 foot deep. I know, my fault

Great first car!
By Jessie

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic in 2001 with 97,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put 90,000 more miles on it in 7 years of driving. The Civic has been a very reliable car (only issue with it was the cooling system), as well as an extremely economical vehicle. It's lasted me through high school and college, and I'm sad to see it go. I would recommend this car to anyone on a budget for a cheap reliable vehicle. It was a great car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, styish for its time, reliability

Suggested Improvements

A little bigger of an engine, better cupholders, center console

3 Civic Owner
By Maine Compact

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a fantastic car. I brag about the fuel economy, reliability, and low maintenance cost to anyone who will listen. It's now sixteen years old, still looks and runs great, and I can't bear to sell it even though we now have two newer Civics!

Favorite Features

Sleek design, peppy handling, large trunk and fold-down rear seat, comfortable seats, in addition to qualities mentioned above.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of any, given the type of car and the value.