Used 1993 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1993 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most perfect small car
By Geoff

1993 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car was always there for me. It pulled through snow when pickups foundered. It averaged 38-41 mpg, and I had the original clutch for 180K miles. It now has 253K miles and only died on me once when the water pump seized. 16 wonderful years, but now with a family of 4, we are going to buy midsize. It is a classic. I wish I could keep it for Sunday drives the next 30 years.

Favorite Features

Arm rest storage, reliable dash controls, great handling, much better than the late 90 Civics. Fabric held up very well, no tears, very little wear. Interior is still welcoming and fresh, not trashed. Exterior paint is scratched, but just started to rust at wheel wells, a little on hood crease.

Suggested Improvements

Warning light/buzzer for headlights. I kill the battery about 4 times a year leaving home in the dark and arriving at work in bright sunshine, accidentally leaving the headlights on.

Amazing vehicle
By gabe

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Got car with 150K and unknown maintenance record. Used for commute and some long road trips (1,000+ miles) without any problem. Very frugal on fuel and maintenance, good brakes, decent takeoff, good steering and handling, seats 4 w/comfort, heating/cooling OK, good trunk space. The bad: Engine started burning oil at 175K miles. I like mechanics so I did a partial rebuilt (piston rings were worn) and took care of things that mechanics could not (e.g. oil leaks). Cost: about $400 (parts+tools) Car has run great ever since; now at 205K miles gets 25-29mpg in only-city driving and 35-40mpg hwy. We got stranded only once when ignition coil died at 197k miles. Overall, I love the car!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, handling, sharp shifting (manual trans) even after 205K!!!. Quality: OE radiator lasted 198K miles, OE clutch lasted 180K+ miles. Brake cylinder replaced 2k miles ago. Engine trouble came after 175K (which is 11+ years of driving).

Suggested Improvements

Rust in rear wheel wells (chronic problem w/model); too much road noise; seating position may be too low for some. A/C may use some extra air flow. DX trim means only power steering and A/C Not too much to complain in an econobox; it'll take you from A to B with no problem.

awesome
By marcbobson

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

this car is amazing. i bought it with about 100K miles on it, and have put 60K miles in just 2 years or so. The MPG is insane; even though its rated at 39 MPG, i routinely obtain 42-45 MPG. The car is so reliable its amazing. I put 80 mi per day on it, and it hasn't broken down once. Just basic repairs like brakes. I would recommend this car to anyone. Only downside is it doesn't have a lot of pep/pick-up, especially on hills--but hey if you want 45 MPG from a car built 15 years ago, you have to accept the downside.

Favorite Features

MPG

Suggested Improvements

I'd say stronger engine but then I'd lose the MPG so I'll say it can't be improved upon.

Long lasting
By MG

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My civic was bought it Texas.The original owner took it to Toronto, then moved to Montreal, I bought it in 2005 for $2200 I drove from Montreal to Banff with a cost of $310 in gas, ACROSS THE COUNTRY. Since I've had it I put about $1100in repairs and maintenance, brake cylinder, radiator, thermo, bushings. Nothing major.

Favorite Features

low cost..

Suggested Improvements

I do lots of skiing, even with winter tires very low traction, I damaged my radiator driving in snow that was about 1 foot deep. I know, my fault

Just four repairs in 15 years.
By Dekkie

1993 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Civic LX new in March of 1993. Almost 170k miles later still drives fine. Even with the automatic I get about 38 mpg on the freeway. Collision damage aside, the only repairs were to replace the rear main seal, distributor rotor, muffler (rust) and igniter. I didn't expect this car to last more than a decade but then again I've never owned a car made in Japan before.

Favorite Features

Economical to own/run, reliable powertrain, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Glad they moved away from the under hood air intake too many rocks chip away the front of the hood. Have had moisture leak in the trunk for almost 12 years, still can't figure out where it comes from.