1993 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Most perfect small car
By Geoff on 03/23/09 20:27 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car was always there for me. It pulled through snow when pickups foundered. It averaged 38-41 mpg, and I had the original clutch for 180K miles. It now has 253K miles and only died on me once when the water pump seized. 16 wonderful years, but now with a family of 4, we are going to buy midsize. It is a classic. I wish I could keep it for Sunday drives the next 30 years.

Amazing vehicle
By gabe on 03/10/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Got car with 150K and unknown maintenance record. Used for commute and some long road trips (1,000+ miles) without any problem. Very frugal on fuel and maintenance, good brakes, decent takeoff, good steering and handling, seats 4 w/comfort, heating/cooling OK, good trunk space. The bad: Engine started burning oil at 175K miles. I like mechanics so I did a partial rebuilt (piston rings were worn) and took care of things that mechanics could not (e.g. oil leaks). Cost: about $400 (parts+tools) Car has run great ever since; now at 205K miles gets 25-29mpg in only-city driving and 35-40mpg hwy. We got stranded only once when ignition coil died at 197k miles. Overall, I love the car!

awesome
By marcbobson on 09/21/08 01:59 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

this car is amazing. i bought it with about 100K miles on it, and have put 60K miles in just 2 years or so. The MPG is insane; even though its rated at 39 MPG, i routinely obtain 42-45 MPG. The car is so reliable its amazing. I put 80 mi per day on it, and it hasn't broken down once. Just basic repairs like brakes. I would recommend this car to anyone. Only downside is it doesn't have a lot of pep/pick-up, especially on hills--but hey if you want 45 MPG from a car built 15 years ago, you have to accept the downside.

Long lasting
By MG on 07/24/08 17:09 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My civic was bought it Texas.The original owner took it to Toronto, then moved to Montreal, I bought it in 2005 for $2200 I drove from Montreal to Banff with a cost of $310 in gas, ACROSS THE COUNTRY. Since I've had it I put about $1100in repairs and maintenance, brake cylinder, radiator, thermo, bushings. Nothing major.

Just four repairs in 15 years.
By Dekkie on 05/28/08 15:04 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Civic LX new in March of 1993. Almost 170k miles later still drives fine. Even with the automatic I get about 38 mpg on the freeway. Collision damage aside, the only repairs were to replace the rear main seal, distributor rotor, muffler (rust) and igniter. I didn't expect this car to last more than a decade but then again I've never owned a car made in Japan before.

Great first car!
By Jessie on 01/16/08 16:02 PM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic in 2001 with 97,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put 90,000 more miles on it in 7 years of driving. The Civic has been a very reliable car (only issue with it was the cooling system), as well as an extremely economical vehicle. It's lasted me through high school and college, and I'm sad to see it go. I would recommend this car to anyone on a budget for a cheap reliable vehicle. It was a great car!

3 Civic Owner
By Maine Compact on 12/31/07 07:01 AM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a fantastic car. I brag about the fuel economy, reliability, and low maintenance cost to anyone who will listen. It's now sixteen years old, still looks and runs great, and I can't bear to sell it even though we now have two newer Civics!

bullet proof
By dave jones on 07/16/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I just sold my 93 ex with 282,000 on it. Never touched the engine and I drove the heck out of it, spent about 3,000g over 175,000. Have an accord now, would recommend an accord over a civic, much nicer ride/ comfort for very little penalty in gas consumption.

1993 Honda Civic LX
By DMF on 04/10/06 16:34 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My 93 Civic LX has >130K miles, and STILL gets >30 MPG! DOHC engine still very quick and reliable -- cruise very comfortably at fast speeds (would NEVER do with other older-mileage vehicles). Mechanically excellent, but some of the interior components starting to deteriorate after 13 years (LED on stereo, speakers, plastic door handle snapped, spring clip for wipers). Recently test-drove 2003 Civic EX -- difference in performance between 2 was negligible -- I was quite surprised! (Or maybe I couldn't really "test" it because salesperson was sitting next to me). Best car I've owned yet!

260k miles and going strong
By mike c on 03/23/05 01:23 AM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I am a Honda person for life now!! 260,000 hard miles, uses no oil and not a single major repair. Over 40mpg highway and 35mpg city. I suggest sending the fuel injectors in for off car cleaning every 100k miles (NONE of the bottle stuff works, I tried it all) and do yourself a favor and install a high flow airfilter and muffler. It does NOT have to be a loud "coffee can" to improve performance AND mileage. My exhaust manifold developed a crack around 200k and I replaced it with a header because of lower cost. I would never go back. There was no downside and my engine was more responsive at all rpm's. I use a 50% mix of synthetic and regular oil this made a noticeable improvement in hp & mpg.