Used 1993 Honda Civic VX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great on gas and reliable
By honda637

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

I bought it when it had 97K miles original miles on it and at 130K miles I pulled out old weak motor and transmission aka d15z1 vtec-e out and put in a stronger sohc d16y8 and never looked back. I remember back then this car couldn't climb up a hill or beat my moms Geo Prizm, lmao! This car pays for it self within one year on gas saving powers! A die hard Honda fan! If you want a gas saver, this car is the way to go. If you want a monster horse power machine, this car is the way to go after a motor swap. What can i say this car is easy to fix/maintain and is awesome on gas. Plus mechanically, it will out last any other 1993 car, I swear! This car will probably be passed on to my kids.

Favorite Features

Very easy to maintain and capable achieving monster hp after a b-series motor swap! Body style is untouchable, till this day no other civic can compare on body style! Sohc Vtec sounds awesome and kids are still trying to steal this car out on my drive way! Car has never died on me and it's still my daily driver!

Suggested Improvements

Air vent sucks because tends to break and interior is so cheap shit falls apart after 140,000 original miles. Seats sucked so swapped them for gray leather gsr seats. Wheels sucked so upgraded them to 96 civic hx rims and gsr blades. Added a few aerodynamic parts for looks.. Added a short shifter for shorter shifts.

steady, reliable, underpowered
By sbgardne

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

Purchased new for EPA rating of 48/53 mpg. Still getting 40+mpg in combined driving. Currently 201,000 miles. I stuck to major maintenance schedules, and still have original radiator, clutch. Paint and interior still in great shape. GREAT little car, get a Honda only if you value a reliability, resale value, smart design, comfort, and want a worry-free ownership experience.

Favorite Features

Mileage, styling, appearance.

Best Econo Car Ever Made
By Alex

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

Best econo car ever made and owned so far. Very easy to modify (interior/ exterior wise). I've added a 94 si moonroof, rear windshield wiper, 17" rims, slightly lowered, 99 si dash modification with all red lighting, DC5R steering wheel, 99 si OEM CD player and slave tape deck, better speakers, 99 si head lights, fog lights, 99-00 civic front bumper, power door locks/ power windows, and it still gets 55+ mpg with the added weight. This car may take a while to pick up speed, but is still fast for a super econo engine. So far have had no problems with engine/tranny. A great commuter car. It's a new experience when one drives a car that's nice to your wallet. I'll never get rid of this car!!!

Favorite Features

Creatively engineered hatch, great room for luggage, back lights, sleek window design, very light, fuel economy guaranteed 55mpg in hwy. I've experienced 61mpg half the time in long trips. Capatible with 99 civic si interior, very easy to modify interior, easily placed (but expensive) OEM moonroof

Suggested Improvements

Lacks rear passanger room for 5 adults. Get a 96-00 hatchback if you need more rear passanger room. Too much wind noise, but can be reduced with thicker weather stripping and dynomat.

1993 Honda Civic VX (Hatch)
By dvp560d

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

No dragstrip performance, but what can be expected at a fantastic 50 mpg? Never any problems with anything; only requires normal maitenance. Best car I've ever owned.

Driven further than the moon!
By brdesert

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this 1993 VX since 1997 and have put 305,000 miles on this incredible vehicle. I still have the ORIGINAL STARTER, CLUTCH, ENGINE, PISTONS AND RINGS. Constant oil changes and timing belt maintenance is the key.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

None