1993 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Amazing vehicle
By gabe on 03/10/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Got car with 150K and unknown maintenance record. Used for commute and some long road trips (1,000+ miles) without any problem. Very frugal on fuel and maintenance, good brakes, decent takeoff, good steering and handling, seats 4 w/comfort, heating/cooling OK, good trunk space. The bad: Engine started burning oil at 175K miles. I like mechanics so I did a partial rebuilt (piston rings were worn) and took care of things that mechanics could not (e.g. oil leaks). Cost: about $400 (parts+tools) Car has run great ever since; now at 205K miles gets 25-29mpg in only-city driving and 35-40mpg hwy. We got stranded only once when ignition coil died at 197k miles. Overall, I love the car!

awesome
By marcbobson on 09/21/08 01:59 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

this car is amazing. i bought it with about 100K miles on it, and have put 60K miles in just 2 years or so. The MPG is insane; even though its rated at 39 MPG, i routinely obtain 42-45 MPG. The car is so reliable its amazing. I put 80 mi per day on it, and it hasn't broken down once. Just basic repairs like brakes. I would recommend this car to anyone. Only downside is it doesn't have a lot of pep/pick-up, especially on hills--but hey if you want 45 MPG from a car built 15 years ago, you have to accept the downside.

Long lasting
By MG on 07/24/08 17:09 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

My civic was bought it Texas.The original owner took it to Toronto, then moved to Montreal, I bought it in 2005 for $2200 I drove from Montreal to Banff with a cost of $310 in gas, ACROSS THE COUNTRY. Since I've had it I put about $1100in repairs and maintenance, brake cylinder, radiator, thermo, bushings. Nothing major.

Great first car!
By Jessie on 01/16/08 16:02 PM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic in 2001 with 97,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put 90,000 more miles on it in 7 years of driving. The Civic has been a very reliable car (only issue with it was the cooling system), as well as an extremely economical vehicle. It's lasted me through high school and college, and I'm sad to see it go. I would recommend this car to anyone on a budget for a cheap reliable vehicle. It was a great car!

3 Civic Owner
By Maine Compact on 12/31/07 07:01 AM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This has been a fantastic car. I brag about the fuel economy, reliability, and low maintenance cost to anyone who will listen. It's now sixteen years old, still looks and runs great, and I can't bear to sell it even though we now have two newer Civics!

1993 Honda Civic Sedan
By burbs on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I purchased it for just under three thousand dollars. After some mechanical work it was as good as new. The only thing that really bugs me is the rust around the wheel wells.

Excellent Transportation, DON'T RACE!!!
By FrugalCommuter on 09/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle at an auction in February of 2002 for $775. The car was rammed into a curb, then left to die. I replaced the front passenger side suspension.Honda's are so easy to work on, didn't take more then a weekend to get that replaced. I have driven the car for 20,000 miles since, so far I have only replaced the axels. Handels well for the liberal suspension setup. Easily take corners at 90. Brakes have been acceptable, but not great due to the rear drum configuration. Trunk is well sized for the car. Tank is too small. Blow motor doesn't blow enough air. Car just needs about 30 more horsepower.

Inherited a Civic and Love it
By Dex Diamonds on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Civic for almost a year. My mother bought it new in 1993 and growing up with it I've learned to appreciate it. It has 87,000 miles on it and hasn't had a major problem yet. The acceleration is great for a 4 cylinder and it drives like a mini racer car. I'm 18 and for my first car only a Benz would have been better. haha

Lemon
By Lilah on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Maybe I got the lemon of the Honda world but my Civic DX definetly has issues. In less than a year I have replaced the engine, only to find out recently that the newer engine it has now is no good either, head gasket replaced, spark plugs replaced twice, timing belts twice, radiator, CV boots, and just your basic tune ups, the car has been on one long trip (150 mi.) and the rest of the time has just been commuter. So far in less than a year I have spent close t 2500 dollars on repairs. Maybe I just got a lemon but I have not had a positive experience!!!

4dr DX - will get you to 200K miles
By Dave S. - Durham, NC on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I am about to trade in my '93 4-dr DX, and it is sad that I am only going to get around $1000, due to 174K miles and a bunch of cosmetic blemishes that I've never bothered to fix. It's said because the car is still driving quite well after all of these years, and I think it's worth a bit more (I'm not going to bother to try to get more however). Ride is still smooth between 70 and 80 MPH, handles well in all weather despite puny 13" wheels. Fuel economy still excellent (30 city/40 hwy).