Used 1993 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
original owner & will pass on to my 5yo son
By dextersinister

1993 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

I just had the bushings replaced on my 93 Si hatchback last week. That, combined with the strut replacement last year, has my Civic driving like new. And it has 266k miles on it. Mileage has always been great. Only wear and tear issues over time. Clutch replaced a few years ago. Engine gaskets and hoses all replaced a couple years ago. All done by great local mechanic. Never any drive train issues. I change the oil myself every 3k miles. All the Si options still work too - moon roof, power side mirrors... I don't drive it super easy - combination of aggressive city driving and road trips. I look forward to it passing 325k and letting my son use it in 10-11 more years.

Favorite Features

Handling & performance have always been great. I love driving it on mountain roads. The Si has plenty of power for passing & maneuvering too. Gas mileage has always been great, rarely below 30mpg and over 40mpg on some highway trips. I'm 6'2" and easily fit in it. Not super comfortable on long drives though. Visibility is great (the hatchback helps)!

its slow but it gets you there
By porksoda1

1993 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I traded a beat down 97 blazer for my 93 civic coupe. The car has 230,000 miles and still runs strong. It has the 1.6 vtec and a 5 speed manual. It's slow and it's ugly but it gets 35 mpg. The handling is amazing though. My civic is lowered a couple inches and has a little negative camber and you can throw it into some corners at fairly high speeds. It's no hot rod but it gets me where i need to go.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the handling... it's great. The car also has enough room for my 4 year old to sit comfortably in the back.

Suggested Improvements

It could stand to be faster. I may just be corrupted by the numerous camaros and firebirds I've owned though.

Lemon
By Lilah

1993 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Maybe I got the lemon of the Honda world but my Civic DX definetly has issues. In less than a year I have replaced the engine, only to find out recently that the newer engine it has now is no good either, head gasket replaced, spark plugs replaced twice, timing belts twice, radiator, CV boots, and just your basic tune ups, the car has been on one long trip (150 mi.) and the rest of the time has just been commuter. So far in less than a year I have spent close t 2500 dollars on repairs. Maybe I just got a lemon but I have not had a positive experience!!!

Favorite Features

Air conditioning, back seat, large trunk!!

Suggested Improvements

Engine!!!!!!!

Great Car - Hatchback bring them back
By 1993 Si HB

1993 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

I have 1993 Civic Si with 246,000 miles and plan adding another 50,000. Love the hatchback, Honda need to bring it back. Getting 31-34 mpg in winter, 28-31 in summer with AC. Replaced the clutch 205,000 and manual transmission 210,000. Lost the starter coil 215,000. Paint is starting to go and the Honda’s typical wheel well rust starting to show and get bad. Sunroof stopped working 190,000ish. Thought I'd let it go and replace the car, but the dang car just keeps going, can't justify replacing it yet. Gas tank is on the smallish side. My major complaint is the missing lights on chime, this has caused me no end of heart burn.

Favorite Features

Nice power and MPG for its time. The hatchback makes it extremely versatile, put a storm door in it and another time had to put an unbuilt Weber gas grill in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank, AWD, and a fuel efficient gas/diesel engine (VW Jetta TDI like 140 hp 245ish torque)

Great on gas and reliable
By honda637

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

I bought it when it had 97K miles original miles on it and at 130K miles I pulled out old weak motor and transmission aka d15z1 vtec-e out and put in a stronger sohc d16y8 and never looked back. I remember back then this car couldn't climb up a hill or beat my moms Geo Prizm, lmao! This car pays for it self within one year on gas saving powers! A die hard Honda fan! If you want a gas saver, this car is the way to go. If you want a monster horse power machine, this car is the way to go after a motor swap. What can i say this car is easy to fix/maintain and is awesome on gas. Plus mechanically, it will out last any other 1993 car, I swear! This car will probably be passed on to my kids.

Favorite Features

Very easy to maintain and capable achieving monster hp after a b-series motor swap! Body style is untouchable, till this day no other civic can compare on body style! Sohc Vtec sounds awesome and kids are still trying to steal this car out on my drive way! Car has never died on me and it's still my daily driver!

Suggested Improvements

Air vent sucks because tends to break and interior is so cheap shit falls apart after 140,000 original miles. Seats sucked so swapped them for gray leather gsr seats. Wheels sucked so upgraded them to 96 civic hx rims and gsr blades. Added a few aerodynamic parts for looks.. Added a short shifter for shorter shifts.