1992 Honda Civic LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1992 Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sort Reviews by

Worst car I ever owned
By stuckinutah

1992 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car on its reputation. That was my first mistake, the second was keeping it. I have owned it for two and a half years and about 40,000 miles, but it seems like it has been in the shop more than on the road. Items fixed/replaced, head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, alternator, radiator and hoses. Plus I have to check the oil and radiator fluid every 100 miles to top them off. I put 5 quarts of oil in between each oil change, which I get every 3000 miles. It is going to be sold ,or driven off a cliff, this spring when I get a more reliable car.

DTD
By harrowing_lane

1992 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I drove this car until it died. I got the car in 1998 and I got my 350 dollars out of it that I definitely owe Honda some money (Don't tell them that). The car currently has 298000 miles on it. They really don't make cars like that anymore. Sometimes it was really hard to start but always kept me safe. I drove this car from NY to PA, TN, IN, GA, SC, FL, CT, OH to name a few places. I loved my car rust and all. The thing is the engine is still alive and kicking .Thing is the car will fall apart but the engine is really built to last. Its just water is coming in now and the alternator has finally died. Bottom line if I could get a semi new 1992 Honda Civic. I would buy it yesterday.

Favorite Features

All

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really except rusting occurs but who can really complain car is over 20 years old

Look on the road, these cars last
By jonas

1992 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've been tempted to see the car, trade it in for anything because the car lasts so long. I am the original owner when it first came out it was the first rounded edge small luxury car. Sure somethings needed replacement: 2 radiators, 1 set cv boots 3 alternators, 2 ignition coils. Every thing else I could replace myself. I solved the problem of wind noise 14 years later with a rubber band stuffed in the door rubber grommets to press it against the window better and to place some noise insulation underneath the floor and inside the front doors. Get a k & n air filter and pickup from stop is good enough. On the freeway, given the light weight, at high speed it can match any car from 70+

Favorite Features

cheap cheap cheap to run and keep running. best car of its time and outlasts even newer civics. people know it is a high quality car regardless of age.

Suggested Improvements

better uv protection for windows and paint. even new civics are just as noisy and engine buzzy.

Best Car I've owned
By xXShiXx

1992 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I brought this car in June 2009 with 226K miles, I've added an additional 9K miles since then. Haven't had any problems whatso ever yet, knock on wood. The only thing with this Civic is that its FWD and kills the front two tires quickly. No complaints though, i plan on keeping this for a good while.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, Quick speed, and Reliability

Suggested Improvements

none

Best car to own by a student
By Andrei

1992 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I gave this car all tens because it never let me down. I commute 35 miles 5 days a week to school, in Vermont, and it always took me there, no matter how bad the weather was, or how deep the snow got. Having a low clearance it's very stable while cornering. And mileage, only a hybrid would get a better mileage than this car. I will remain with Honda and drive this baby for as long as it can take me.

Favorite Features

For a '92, it has cruise control, power windows, power locks. No A/C though. But a lot of cars these days don't even have cruise control or power windows.

Suggested Improvements

None. Too bad they don't make such fuel efficient cars these days. On the highway, I get at least 40 mpg.

Awesome
By joetron

1992 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car with 125,000, and it has been faithful to us for 7 years and 75,000 miles. We have done standard maintenance for a 17 year old car (new muffler, changed the belts, new clutch). Other than that, nothing but standard maintenance. The car has never broken down, all the electronics still work, and it still runs great.

Favorite Features

40 mpg, 37 with four people in it on the hwy. 33 in the city. Incredibly reliable. 5 speed is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure they have improved it over the last 17 years!

wonderful little civic
By samcivic

1992 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Brought the cute Civic for good gas mileage, reliability and low cost to operate and it delivers. I had a fast prelude, the Civic has little performance, but is fun to drive and light weight very good on the snow. The Civic look small, but very roomy and comfortable even for tall a person like myself. The Civic is the best bargain I can think of. Very happy to own a cute little Civic.

Favorite Features

Nice gas mileage. Fun to drive. Reliable to drive. Cheap insurance. I am '511 fit nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Everything is cheap to operate, i won't ask for more.

Great work car
By SavivnGas

1992 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

With fuel the way it is, I parked the F 150 crew cab and purchased this vehicle used, with 88,844 original miles on it. I have not owned it long, but I am already wondering what I ever did with out it. My first fuel cycle, resulted in a MPG of 40.8, mostly highway. That is a lot better than the 17.5 I was getting. Now, my wife, 2 daughters and myself are all driving Honda's, ranging from 92 Civic, 02 Accord, 04 Accord and 07 Civic. These have all been great vehicles and I can imagine owning any other make.

Favorite Features

Reliability and fuel mileage

Suggested Improvements

I am satisfied

Back to Honda
By Jerry

1992 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We had Hondas before, and glad to be owners and drivers of one again. This Honda had 150,000 miles (now about 155,1115 miles) when we bought it. It had been well-maintained, and runs great. After about six months, still no problems (other than a cracked windshield and headlight bezel). Just a few weeks after buying the car, we drove it 490 miles in one day when we relocated from Scranton, PA to Norfolk, VA. I'm now commuting 16 miles to work round trip daily, five days per week, in addition to a lot of running around when not working. We had Hondas in the past (1990 Civic DX, 1984 Civic), and very happy to be back into Hondas, where we will stay. Have several kids who also drive Hondas

Favorite Features

Smooth running; sure handling; small tires (less costly to replace); auto door locks, and power windows (all of which still work). Superb reliability; I know I can depend on it to keep running with no problems.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger material for door handle bezel. Cracked the driver door bezel when attempting to open the door, not realizing that I had locked it when resting my arm on the window sill. Either that, or design the door to automatically unlock when lever is pulled from inside.

Honda Civic
By Peter

1992 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Usually spending 200 USD/YEAR for repairing. It was eating 10 liters/ 100 km in city.

Favorite Features

transmission

Suggested Improvements

Sell it after after 10 years use!