Used 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The BEST Car EVER MADE!!!!
By yummy_honie

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car back in January 2009 and it has been almost 3 years. Its a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback and it has been my life saver. I named her Lil Magic because she never lets me down. Its so funny because for it to be such a old car, almost 20 yrs old, she still keeps up with the best of them effortlessly. We are often doing 90 on the highway and joke around with my bf and I tell him that the car actually prefers to go fast. Im not kidding she is FAST!!. I dd not do any modifications yet but I plan to in the future. I sometimes wish I had power lock doors and windows but the cars loyalty to me means much more. Ppl see me on the street and always wanna buy here. I love my car.

Favorite Features

Well the favorite feature is that she is so small. She can zoom in and out of traffic effortless. Park in the smallest of spaces, I live in DC so parking is very competitive. So reliable and she never runs out of gas until she gets me home. What a loyal car. Never breaks down on me. The car just loves to be out on the road. Can take long trips still to this day and is quite a looker in my opinion. To some she is a old piece of crap but they are idiots because in my eyes she is just as good as any new car.

Suggested Improvements

Well at this point there is no way to improve a almost 20 yr old car. But Im putting in a better muffler, snow tires. I am going to change the headlights and taillights and make minor mods. I ultimately want to get turbo on the engine but that is further down the line.

Fun, Solid, and Great MPG
By LT

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This car is a lot of fun to drive around Chicago. The light weight, the 5-speed manual, the 1.5 liter engine, and the tight handling make it feel sporty. Low maintenance. High MPG. The body is solid but starting to rust a bit around the rear wheel wells. After a wash and wax, I get offers from random people on the street to buy it. Just can't bring myself to replace it. Honda really did this one right.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance. High MPG. So many aspects come together to make it a fun little car for zipping around town.

Suggested Improvements

Side impact protection is atrocious (watch an SUV almost drive through it on YouTube). No clock on dashboard. Plastic bumper cracked easily on an extremely cold day.

Excellent car ever made
By tony

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

this is my first car and i am driving it from last 5 months...it's excellent. it's comfortable, fun, dependable. i bought it used. previous owner was careless, he never care for it. since i bought it it sits in garage. it's an automatic but i SHIFT AT!! MPG is low (because of my driving habits 3rd at 80 mph)..i don't like driving my second car (2003 accord).. i like most is its comfort. it feels solid.. wish if honda restart its production with 300+ HP, I am really gonna buy 1.. I LOVE MY EG!!!

Favorite Features

seating comfort, handling, fuel economy, trunk space,sporty exterior design, dashboard, rear end, it looks very nice if lowered, rear seats are more comfortable...its my dream car.

Suggested Improvements

more powerful engine(like honda S2000 or PRELUDE) overall its best car i have ever seen and driven!!

Finally, a place to praise her!
By Ray C

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Purchasing her was a nightmare, but owning her is a dream. This car has seen: 5 roundtrip treks from Chicago to L.A., plowed through 2 ft deep snow (clearing a path for a Blazer for 4 miles), ran into the side of a mountain (friend borrowed her), carried everything I owned as a bachelor, beats camaros through intersections (then loses a block later, lol), looks great, runs better, and is still ready for more. I realize no one will probably see this because of the year, but she is worth the effort to type a few words of praise. I will look back on the time i owned her, and smile. I will always compare future cars to her. My children will drive Civic HB's as their startup cars if I can convince them.

Favorite Features

Dependability, Fuel Economy, Styling, Fit & Finish, Versatility, Utility, Bolt-on aftermarket, audio capability, Fun.

Suggested Improvements

600 hp engine to fit under the hood, and keep the same fuel economy. Keep up the great work so my kids can enjoy one too, someday.

Fun, inexpensive ride, gr8 fro college
By saX

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Low to no maintaining cost, fuel efficient,very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a bigger engine.