Used 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The BEST Car EVER MADE!!!!
By yummy_honie

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car back in January 2009 and it has been almost 3 years. Its a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback and it has been my life saver. I named her Lil Magic because she never lets me down. Its so funny because for it to be such a old car, almost 20 yrs old, she still keeps up with the best of them effortlessly. We are often doing 90 on the highway and joke around with my bf and I tell him that the car actually prefers to go fast. Im not kidding she is FAST!!. I dd not do any modifications yet but I plan to in the future. I sometimes wish I had power lock doors and windows but the cars loyalty to me means much more. Ppl see me on the street and always wanna buy here. I love my car.

Well the favorite feature is that she is so small. She can zoom in and out of traffic effortless. Park in the smallest of spaces, I live in DC so parking is very competitive. So reliable and she never runs out of gas until she gets me home. What a loyal car. Never breaks down on me. The car just loves to be out on the road. Can take long trips still to this day and is quite a looker in my opinion. To some she is a old piece of crap but they are idiots because in my eyes she is just as good as any new car.

Well at this point there is no way to improve a almost 20 yr old car. But Im putting in a better muffler, snow tires. I am going to change the headlights and taillights and make minor mods. I ultimately want to get turbo on the engine but that is further down the line.

Fun, Solid, and Great MPG
By LT

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This car is a lot of fun to drive around Chicago. The light weight, the 5-speed manual, the 1.5 liter engine, and the tight handling make it feel sporty. Low maintenance. High MPG. The body is solid but starting to rust a bit around the rear wheel wells. After a wash and wax, I get offers from random people on the street to buy it. Just can't bring myself to replace it. Honda really did this one right.

Low maintenance. High MPG. So many aspects come together to make it a fun little car for zipping around town.

Side impact protection is atrocious (watch an SUV almost drive through it on YouTube). No clock on dashboard. Plastic bumper cracked easily on an extremely cold day.

Great Car / Timeless
By Texas Car

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

I have had my 92 for 16 years and have no plans to get rid of it. The Little Red Car has 185K miles on it and has been extremely trustworthy. I am a Japanese car tech by trade and only use OEM Honda parts when possible. The axle shafts are the originals. I have, during it's life, installed the second set of boots after the originals. The rotors and drums have never been machined. I am now on the first set of OEM replacement shoes and second set of OEM pads. I am on the first timing belt, water pump and front engine seals, with new drive belts. I will be installing the second replacement belts, tensioner, valve adjust, plugs and misc within the next few days. Then, here I come 250K miles.

Fuel economy is from 32MPG to 40MPG consistently. I check it every fill up. The mileage hasn't changed for 16 years. Remember, this is a CX with the higher gear ratio for fuel economy. It's not to quick getting off of the line, but likes 80 MPH on the highway. I like the comfort and usability.

I only wish that I had intermittent wipers. The AC, and sound system is fine. I'm 6'2" and fit great in the car. If not I wouldn't have had it for so long. Nice car!!

What a great car!!
By ace1932

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

My dad purchased the car when it was new back in 1992 from a dealer in Southern California. It's my car now and I love it! Sure it has no pick-up and I'm making more frequent trips to the shop. All in all, it's a great car! Handling is fantastic!! I routinely get 36 MPG in the city, while using 87 octane gas!! The build quality is great! My car has never had any rust issues and it still has the engine it came with when new. It now has over 170k miles on it, but still works really well. The original clutch lasted 137k miles!! So yes, the car will never die. I routinely get offers from random people on the street to buy my car. Oh yes, and my A/C compressor is in need of replacement.

Interior/exterior styling. The handling is fantastic. Great MPG!

Could use 110 more horsepower! Would also benefit from 4 wheel disc brakes! The drive seat could use more support in the but area. More lateral support also wouldn't hurt!!

Really nice car
By albert

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Well this car like the common old car gave me the typical problems, catalytic converter, then the brakes, and one problem whit a washer somewhere in the engine, but after almos 70 000 miles what do you expect, yes, I put like 35k miles per year to that car.

It's really fun to drive, especially if you have it in standard transmission. Really really really cheap, I put 5 bucks and I can make like 80 miles it's like 40 mpg

None, same one but newer