Used 1992 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1992 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

One owner Civic VX
By Kenneth Hausmann

1992 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new in 1992 knowing almost nothing about Honda. I got it because it had 92 hp instead of the paltry 70 the CX and DX had. It also had cloth seats, aluminum wheels, and about 5 more mpg. I planned to sell it when my 1969 Mustang came out of restoration shop but fell in love with the car. I added the cargo cover, cruise control, intermittent wipers, clock, body side moldings, floor mats, rear speakers from an SI, tinted windows, factory clock, the tall console with pad, which is essential for a comfortable driving position, and AMFM CD with Sirius. The car is easy to maintain, gets about 43 city and 50 hwy. On one trip to Iowa, I filled up the 10 gallon tank in Austin, TX and drove to El Dorado Kansas, where I put 9.6 gallons in. That averaged 57.7 mpg, driving at 65 mph. I have never gotten less than 42 mpg, and that was in summer, jAC blasting, in city traffic. I just brought it in to have it rebuilt at 489k. I will never sell this car. I painted it once and the interior is still very good. I wonder how many people have a one owner VX? I also wish I knew how many they made, but Honda is mum on this subject.

5 Stars Across The Board - Best Car Built
By cool_breeze1

1992 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Best built car ever in my opinion. Great built, reliability, design, fuel efficiency, repairability. I still have this car - 156,000 miles, body and frame are still holding up after a decade in salt country, parts are easy to find, inexpensive, easy to replace. By the way, this is the second one I have owned and real MPG is actually BETTER than the government-stats posted online - this one gets 38 MPG highway, my previous one got 44 MPG highway, both are in the 30's in the city - better than many older hybrids without all the batteries. I don't drive it any more but really cannot part with it because it is a rare gem of an auto - one designed with quality in mind rather than profit.

Everything. Incredible space for a small car, incredible zip for a small engine, phenomenal reliability, inexpensive parts, just great design work all-around.

Only improvement is that they should have run with this design for a much longer period of time. The 1992 - 1994 Civics, especially DX and LX, were designed with the owner in mind rather than with making a disposable vehicle for manufacturer profitability like 99% of all other car models.

Worst car I ever owned
By stuckinutah

1992 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car on its reputation. That was my first mistake, the second was keeping it. I have owned it for two and a half years and about 40,000 miles, but it seems like it has been in the shop more than on the road. Items fixed/replaced, head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, alternator, radiator and hoses. Plus I have to check the oil and radiator fluid every 100 miles to top them off. I put 5 quarts of oil in between each oil change, which I get every 3000 miles. It is going to be sold ,or driven off a cliff, this spring when I get a more reliable car.

DTD
By harrowing_lane

1992 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I drove this car until it died. I got the car in 1998 and I got my 350 dollars out of it that I definitely owe Honda some money (Don't tell them that). The car currently has 298000 miles on it. They really don't make cars like that anymore. Sometimes it was really hard to start but always kept me safe. I drove this car from NY to PA, TN, IN, GA, SC, FL, CT, OH to name a few places. I loved my car rust and all. The thing is the engine is still alive and kicking .Thing is the car will fall apart but the engine is really built to last. Its just water is coming in now and the alternator has finally died. Bottom line if I could get a semi new 1992 Honda Civic. I would buy it yesterday.

All

Nothing really except rusting occurs but who can really complain car is over 20 years old

The BEST Car EVER MADE!!!!
By yummy_honie

1992 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought my car back in January 2009 and it has been almost 3 years.
Its a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback and it has been my life saver.
I named her Lil Magic because she never lets me down.
Its so funny because for it to be such a old car, almost
20 yrs old, she still keeps up with the best of them effortlessly.
We are often doing 90 on the highway and joke around with my bf and I tell him that the car actually prefers to go fast.
Im not kidding she is FAST!!.
I dd not do any modifications yet but I plan to in the future.
I sometimes wish I had power lock doors and windows but the cars loyalty to me means much more.
Ppl see me on the street and always wanna buy here.
I love my car.

Well the favorite feature is that she is so small. She can zoom in and out of traffic effortless. Park in the smallest of spaces, I live in DC so parking is very competitive. So reliable and she never runs out of gas until she gets me home. What a loyal car. Never breaks down on me. The car just loves to be out on the road. Can take long trips still to this day and is quite a looker in my opinion. To some she is a old piece of crap but they are idiots because in my eyes she is just as good as any new car.

Well at this point there is no way to improve a almost 20 yr old car. But Im putting in a better muffler, snow tires. I am going to change the headlights and taillights and make minor mods. I ultimately want to get turbo on the engine but that is further down the line.