1991 Honda Civic Consumer Review: cheap and reliable

1991 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. 4-speed Manual)

cheap and reliable
By malcolm on

1991 Honda Civic 2dr Hatchback

Everything works on it, and that includes even the tape deck! It has no optional equipment, is very stripped down, which I love. In two years, I've replaced the exhaust system, brake calipers, and CV boot. It has almost 150,000 miles and I expect to get 150,000 more. It costs me about $42/month to insure and I spend, even with gas exceeding $2.70/gal $25/week in gas. Everyone who tells me they had one, wishes they still had it, I've never heard anything bad about these cars. Perfect for students or commuters, and very roomy.

Stick shift is fun to drive, and it's very close to the ground, so you really feel the speed. Very simple 2 mode windshield wipers, no complicated electronics, can't beat the reliability.

Has a weird, flat gel-based paint job that attracts grime, looks horrible and is difficult to clean. The mufflers have regular problems for some reason, and I would not include the plastic bumper strip on the side of the car.