I highly recommend Honda's
By Sealgyr on
1991 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback
I bought it from a friend of mine, who only used it for long trips on the east coast. It had no rust and under 100 thousand miles on it. A year later it has 150 thousand miles, and still runs strong. it's fun, sporty, can carry heavy loads and has never broken down on me. I had the oil changed at Walmart, they never put new oil in it. I ran it unwittingly for 2 months before I realized the problem, and it's never suffered or seized. My mother had a 1986 Honda Prelude, spun it, rolled it and still drove it home. that car died out at 300 thousand miles! they're easy to fix, parts are easy to find and they are exceptionally cheap to maintain. I've done most of the work on mine, myself.
Favorite Features
I like the contour of the car, and the fact that it's a hatchback but still small enough to get great gas mileage. It's comfortable to sit in, and the reduced ground clearance makes it really hug the turns. I can take a corner at about 25 MPH, and it's never left me on the side of the road.
Suggested Improvements
The bumpers make it look like it has an underbite. It needs constant tuning, because it is actually a sports coupe. Without that, it starts to get sluggish, if you call 0-30 in less than 2 seconds sluggish for a hatchback carrying about 4-500 LBS of weight load (passengers or other things)