1991 Honda Civic 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Hard To Kill

1991 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

Hard To Kill
By Hunter Cressall on

1991 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

What can you say about a car with 215 thousand miles on the odometer with working AC and a lot of pep? It's a GOOD car. I drive a well maintained 2002 Celica GTS. Every now and then (*cough* truck tire debris *cough*) the Celica needs to visit the body shop for a little work. Out comes my venerable but exceedingly reliable 1991 Civic Si Hatchback to get me through. This little car has driven desert off road in Lancaster, Highway 10 from Georgia to Los Angels, hauled props, lumber and up to six people at a time. And it still gets around 30 mpg. I was told the transmission was going bad - that's why I bought the Celica. That was about 60 thousand miles ago. Now it's my life boat. Great car.

Favorite Features

Wonderful handling. Drives like it's on rails. Excellent mileage and epic reliability. It will hold 12 foot lengths of lumber or three bicycles (wheels on!). Easy to work on for the home garage enthusiast.

Suggested Improvements

Honda, go back to this design philosophy. The new Civic Si Hatchback is an overpriced racing wannabe. The 1991 Civic Si was affordable, speedy, handled like a cat and reliable. That is a combination you can not beat. 1991 was the improvement. Honda has stepped the Civic hatchback down ever since.