1991 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Dream Bean
By Alcestis on 11/08/05 22:57 PM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

My first car was the STD model of this car, which I drove to 117k miles, sold and then bought the Si version at 108k miles from a good friend of mine. With the exception of two minor (only a few inches across) rust spots by the wheel well, this fourteen year old car still has the orig engine, clutch and tranny. I do NOT baby this car, I actually autocross it now, as well as driving it everyday. It's certainly more reliable than my 99 Volvo (with only 56k miles). Only slight wear to the side of the front seat (where I rub against getting in) otherwise interior is pristine. I haven't even changed all the light bulbs! I will NEVER sell this car.

this car doesn't mess around
By chris_E on 04/02/05 16:06 PM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Coming from a person who has been disappointed from previous cars, this is the best purchase you can make if your budget can only afford used cars. It's very responsive in a good way. The steering control is intense. It has started every time without hesitation. The engine bay is so basic, any procedures can be serviced by yourself, time consumingly. I paid $600 and the car had 135k and I've driven it out to165k and it's still going great. That's 30k for $600, a lease for that kinda mileage would be at least triple. This car will amaze you.

Car forever!!!
By 8ballball on 03/02/05 13:51 PM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a used. It is a really good car and econ. Cheap on gas, good looking, no extra cost to repair. It work all weather. It cheap on parts too.

Valuable knowledge
By james on 12/02/04 20:28 PM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

Very fun car to drive, has some good get up for 110hp. Tight cornering, has plently of space for such a small car. But i have not seen one of these last past 160000 miles, stock. do not buy if it has close to that...rear suspension gives, tranny starts to slip and scratch, ac/compressor goes out, clutch needs replacement alternator and timing belt as well. this may just be me but i have known 3 other people same year all si's with same problems...

Small but Fun and Mighty
By Cathyozz on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

I have driven my SI for 14 years and loved every minute of it. FUN car to drive, and practical, carries alot of stuff. Mileage is great. Feels like a sports car.

Great Car
By Spike7 on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

The car is great until my bro flawed it on I-55 and blow up the engine cuz we forgot to add engine oil. NP. We were thinkin about changing motors already. We decided to stick with the budget and put a ZC engine into the Si. Now instead of 108hp I have 130hp! It handles well.

I can't believe it still works !!!
By zeus~go-cart on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

WOW, this car is amazing me everday. I have a 91 SE (DX model US) and its has 392,000 km, NOW THATS AMAZING, me and my mechanics plan to bring is over the 1/2 million mark in a couple of years. All i can say is give it regular oil changes and change the shocks and it will never die on you. I owned a 2002 civic si (till i totaled it) and this car (forced to buy cuz of insurance) drives funner and is a kick everyday when i turn on the ignition and it actually works. Best car ever !!!

compact
By Hondaparts03 on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

89 to 91 civic si, are just simply fun. I owned one since 91. No trouble at all, until around 100k miles, i changed the cv joint and alternator. Thats about it. Just last summer, i changed the motor into a B16. 2000 Si motor. Everything fits great. Now i have 160 hp VTEC. 13K miles.

Excellent Honda
By jclaunch on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car my have simple styling by today's standards, but an excellent example of Honda quality and reliability. Excellent vehicle.

My little rocket
By Matteus on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

What a fabulous car...I've had it for 7 months now, and it has been just amazing. I enjoy the manual steering it gives me a good feeling of the road. The car performs amazingly. I gave this car an update in the form of an engine swap with a 93 DX engine, so I have 102HP instead of a small 70HP. Gas mileage is just amazing...I get 42MPG with the engine paired with a 4 Speed Manual Tranny. The paint has held up well. Unfortunately there is no a/c, well what can I expect for paying $4000CDN (about 2300USD at the time) All around an amazing little car