Used 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great commuter car!
By Agntjay818

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

I first bought this car in 2003 to get around school and work. The engine's 1.6 liter had about 130,000 miles, it handled well and even made it to San Diego which is 120 miles away from Los Angeles. The engine lasted me another 4 years until it overheated in the summer of 2007 and it was just a few months later when I swapped a new engine (ZC JDM Engine) which has been running well to this day. I have lowered the vehicle and it handles even better! Went to a local paint shop dealer and got it painted for the price of 3 details at a car wash!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, easy to maintain, perfect for single drivers, has enough room for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Distributor cap seems to fail often even after several replacements, this could be due to driving mostly at high RPM's on Los Angeles freeway system.

One of the best cars
By David

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Excellent car, easy to drive. Looks small but has a lot of interior space if you need to move something, just put down the two passenger seats and "voila" Big space. My 80 pounds dog loves the ride. I have taken long trips with my girlfriend and we have plenty of space for our things. Good on gas, I get about 40 mpg. Excellent machine, in 3 years I haven't hade any mechanical problem (regular maintenance like changing battery and radiator fan, but this is regular like changing ACs, faucets, or ceiling fans on your house).

Favorite Features

It's light, smooth, fast (it takes longer than a 300 HP car to built speed, but it will get it).

Hard To Kill
By Hunter Cressall

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

What can you say about a car with 215 thousand miles on the odometer with working AC and a lot of pep? It's a GOOD car. I drive a well maintained 2002 Celica GTS. Every now and then (*cough* truck tire debris *cough*) the Celica needs to visit the body shop for a little work. Out comes my venerable but exceedingly reliable 1991 Civic Si Hatchback to get me through. This little car has driven desert off road in Lancaster, Highway 10 from Georgia to Los Angels, hauled props, lumber and up to six people at a time. And it still gets around 30 mpg. I was told the transmission was going bad - that's why I bought the Celica. That was about 60 thousand miles ago. Now it's my life boat. Great car.

Favorite Features

Wonderful handling. Drives like it's on rails. Excellent mileage and epic reliability. It will hold 12 foot lengths of lumber or three bicycles (wheels on!). Easy to work on for the home garage enthusiast.

Suggested Improvements

Honda, go back to this design philosophy. The new Civic Si Hatchback is an overpriced racing wannabe. The 1991 Civic Si was affordable, speedy, handled like a cat and reliable. That is a combination you can not beat. 1991 was the improvement. Honda has stepped the Civic hatchback down ever since.

Best Car Ever!!!
By mike gee

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I had this car since I was 16 yrs old bought it for about $9,000 out the door. It was only a standard but really love it for the reliability because I never replace the starter yet and all my parts for the most part is lifetime. It finally seized up on my on 03-21-08 now put a ZC in engine from Japan and runs excellent will keep this car forever. This car was worth buying and Honda should make a newer model with the same engine because the price on gas is just going up and if I didn't have this Civic I will be broke. I put si seats from the junkyard and got it upholstered and now it's leather and hugs my body while I am driving so if you want a reliable car this car is the best ever...

Favorite Features

I like it reliability and the parts are very cheap and also sporty look... The gas mileage you can't beat and just love the car. Nice windows you can see everything and also have a lot of aftermarket parts even a supercharger and jdm engines from Japan that you can get anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Well I guess the only problem with this car is the axle cv boot and also every 2 year you will need to get a muffler because it will not pass smog. The main thing I only hate about this car it is easily stolen but I got a removable steering wheel and that will take care that. No airbag also....

The red car
By tom palenchar

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This is a very reliable car for us. The performance is quite good and the gas mileage is excellent, especially considering the current price of gas

Favorite Features

Our favaroite feature has been the gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

We have no sugestions for improvements