1991 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great commuter car!
By Agntjay818 on 03/24/09 00:31 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

I first bought this car in 2003 to get around school and work. The engine's 1.6 liter had about 130,000 miles, it handled well and even made it to San Diego which is 120 miles away from Los Angeles. The engine lasted me another 4 years until it overheated in the summer of 2007 and it was just a few months later when I swapped a new engine (ZC JDM Engine) which has been running well to this day. I have lowered the vehicle and it handles even better! Went to a local paint shop dealer and got it painted for the price of 3 details at a car wash!

One of the best cars
By David on 08/18/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Excellent car, easy to drive. Looks small but has a lot of interior space if you need to move something, just put down the two passenger seats and "voila" Big space. My 80 pounds dog loves the ride. I have taken long trips with my girlfriend and we have plenty of space for our things. Good on gas, I get about 40 mpg. Excellent machine, in 3 years I haven't hade any mechanical problem (regular maintenance like changing battery and radiator fan, but this is regular like changing ACs, faucets, or ceiling fans on your house).

Hard To Kill
By Hunter Cressall on 07/26/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

What can you say about a car with 215 thousand miles on the odometer with working AC and a lot of pep? It's a GOOD car. I drive a well maintained 2002 Celica GTS. Every now and then (*cough* truck tire debris *cough*) the Celica needs to visit the body shop for a little work. Out comes my venerable but exceedingly reliable 1991 Civic Si Hatchback to get me through. This little car has driven desert off road in Lancaster, Highway 10 from Georgia to Los Angels, hauled props, lumber and up to six people at a time. And it still gets around 30 mpg. I was told the transmission was going bad - that's why I bought the Celica. That was about 60 thousand miles ago. Now it's my life boat. Great car.

Best Car Ever!!!
By mike gee on 03/31/08 22:23 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I had this car since I was 16 yrs old bought it for about $9,000 out the door. It was only a standard but really love it for the reliability because I never replace the starter yet and all my parts for the most part is lifetime. It finally seized up on my on 03-21-08 now put a ZC in engine from Japan and runs excellent will keep this car forever. This car was worth buying and Honda should make a newer model with the same engine because the price on gas is just going up and if I didn't have this Civic I will be broke. I put si seats from the junkyard and got it upholstered and now it's leather and hugs my body while I am driving so if you want a reliable car this car is the best ever...

The red car
By tom palenchar on 11/25/07 11:03 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This is a very reliable car for us. The performance is quite good and the gas mileage is excellent, especially considering the current price of gas

Easy to tune
By 4th Gen Modifier on 10/09/07 16:38 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

Bought this thing after it was beat on to crap. Very easy to fix up and modify. Great entry level auto-x ride. Wishbone suspension by far beats the econo macpherson setup of the newer gen. Stock sohc engine is worthless, but again, easy to replace and swap out. Prone to lots of rust with its age. Very little maintanence needed if it's just transportation that you need. Very light, with an engine swap and an adjustable suspension and you have yourself a good sporty car. Parts are interchangeable with integra's which adds to the availability of parts. A lot can be done to the car despite its age.

Cool
By kid on 03/30/07 20:02 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

I love this car, love the way it can turn soo fast, I've rebuilt the frame for the rust had eaten away at it and gave it a cool paint job now it looks like new. It's only an automatic but it's my sweet heart.

I highly recommend Honda's
By Sealgyr on 11/13/06 09:57 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought it from a friend of mine, who only used it for long trips on the east coast. It had no rust and under 100 thousand miles on it. A year later it has 150 thousand miles, and still runs strong. it's fun, sporty, can carry heavy loads and has never broken down on me. I had the oil changed at Walmart, they never put new oil in it. I ran it unwittingly for 2 months before I realized the problem, and it's never suffered or seized. My mother had a 1986 Honda Prelude, spun it, rolled it and still drove it home. that car died out at 300 thousand miles! they're easy to fix, parts are easy to find and they are exceptionally cheap to maintain. I've done most of the work on mine, myself.

135,000 miles on it and still great
By grey ghost on 04/27/06 15:14 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I got the manual 5-speed new 15 years ago and it's still going strong. I love this car. It's responsive, has excellent road feel, is extremely reliable, it gets great mileage (see below), and visibility out the front and rear windshields is fantastic. There is tons of space in the back for hauling lumber, bookshelves, Newfoundlands, bicycles, etc. etc. Even when I rent new cars for travel, I'm relieved to come home to my DX. They don't make cars like this anymore. What will I eventually replace it with? There isn't a Civic hatch anymore. Maybe I won't have to replace it, given the miles reported by other reviewers... :-)

Owned all my life
By disworld on 04/01/06 21:49 PM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

My dad bought a 1990 civic si when I was not even two years old, I loved the car so much after I owned it and it was involved in an accident I spent a year finding my 1991 civic si. It's not hard to find a fast car, but it's hard to find an exciting car without spending a lot of money, it's reliable but it's the kind of car you will be smiling every time you step out of it. It may not be the fastest car, the sense of accomplishment you get driving the car to the edge is amazing. The springs are wound perfectly for the 14in tires and the sewing maching engine buzzing with all it's got is a sensation I wouldn't trade for the world.