Used 1991 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1991 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Will run Forever.
By Ben Frink

1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for years and it's still in good shape. With only a few major repairs (brakes, exhaust) it hasn't missed a beat and it gets great gas mileage too. Coming on 160k miles now and it looks like I'll be able to keep this for years to come.

284k and still strong
By amp_man

1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 1/2 years ago at a little over 212k miles, and since then have put in a battery and alternator - that's reliability. If it hadn't been in an accident, it would still be on the road today...definately the best first car I ever could have asked for. My 94 Civic Si couldn't hold a candle to the 91's reliability, the 94's already had a timing belt, head gasket, water pump, thermostat, and brake calipers and pads (all 4), and I've only had it a year.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, no less than 38MPG, average around 40-41. As reliable as they come, and not made with 3/4 plastic like some cars are today. Best $500 I ever spent.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable front seats would definately be a plus. Honda also should pay more attention to rust areas, my dad's 90 and my 91 and 94 all had rust spots just over the rear wheels, and the 90 and 91 had rust just under the "HONDA" on the trunk.

91 Honda Civic DX Rules!
By c_wistar

1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this one since early 2002, when the car was already old. It has 55,000 miles, but even so has a book value of a paltry $1,770. I would Never trade it in, because any replacement would never cut the mustard.

Favorite Features

Reliability; timeless looks; economy.

Suggested Improvements

Wheels could be stainless steel to prevent rust. Other than that, it rocks!

Peppy sedan at 190k miles
By Tom Haws

1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Beloved wife and I have owned our 1991 white Civic "Pegasus" since 1992. Along the way we have had trouble with CV boots, the heater blower and resistor switch, the rear driver side door latch. In the past 4 years we have spent $4000 on repairs to go about 50,000 miles. Not bad. At this point, with 190,000 miles, it isn't 100% reliable, but it is still a zippy little car and very fun to drive. Wish it had a clock and cup holders. We bought a 1996 Accord yesterday to replace it, but we will probably keep it around a while just for old time's sake.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive (small and peppy). Hates the gas pump. Clean auto transmission shifting.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is poor and noisy now that it's old. Power brakes seem weak in spite of repeated assurances from mechanics that all is well.

Great piece of work.
By tope

1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

122k mi and i still dont have any problems with it. i have no problem getting it started ever... in chicago weather on top of it!

Favorite Features

gas milage, the pickup it has for having something like 70 hp

Suggested Improvements

they've already improved what i thought they should for the later model years....