Used 1991 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

ole' reliable
By ck45

1991 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well first off, I bought the car from an old man for $1500, when I was a senior in high school. I looked at and was in excellent condition inside and out, but I checked the odometer and showed 289,000. I was thinking wow this thing is gonna blow up when I drive it. Soon after talking about it I asked for a test drive and honestly it drove and handled just fine. It is a 5 speed and had a 1.5 L with a new alternator and starter.

Perfect gas mileage. I live in Texas and have to drive from the town weatherford to a little town called sweetwater (roughly 20 miles west of Abilene) for college. I'm getting around 40-42 mpg doing 70 mph on highway. The ride is decent and my iPod helps for the long drives.

With 326,761 on the clock, I have had no problems at all. It's still the original engine and I change the oil and filter every 4,000 miles with Lucas oil stabilizer. The Lucas gives the internal parts like a film and reduces wear on any moving parts. Eventually needs new motor but it still runs good.

Loved my 91 Civic LX
By janderson5

1991 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Grandma bought this $1900 car as a present for my 16th b-day (Oct 04). Had 107k on it. 2 prev owners, last was teen girl also. I was really hard on it 1st 2yr, it was my 1st & I drove it rough & changed the oil about every 6-7k. Then I got smart changed oil every 3k & the tranny fluid every 15k. After HS, took car to GU & made 9.5 trips over Snoq Pass b/t Seattle & Spokane, fair amount of weight in it too. On last trip to Sea, oil light came on 60mi outside Spo, stopped at local repair shop, no eng knocking, so said it was faulty light, light went on and off rest way, then in mid of pass, it died. Oil pump went, blowing the cam shaft. That car was my baby, and when it died, I cried for days.

Size-perfect for 5'2" female & it felt like a go-cart. No shaking til 100+mph. GREAT w/gas-at 70-75mph on the trips it got 32-38mpg, 25mi of stop&go it got 25-28mpg, ran on fumes, book says 11.2g tank, once put in 12g. Good pick-up for 1.6L engine. AWESOME turn radius, can pull a U-y ANYWHERE!

Fix the auto trans!

Overall its a great car, ready for change
By Christmas86

1991 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I've driven my 1991 Honda Civic for 6 years now 3 in high school and 3 in college. Right now I'm about to finish school and I'm in desperate need of a new car. This car is great on gas and I've gotten where I've needed to be but its such an old model. Its falling apart to the point where I would love to scrap it, but I have to finish school first. Its embarrassing because of how beat up and old it is. My friends use to make fun of it and call it a toy car or a clown car but it was and still is old faithful to me!!

Good Gas millage around 31-43, Running forever - I have 251,000 miles and counting.

Really small and Lots of Road noise my brakes and other things went out but that's to be expected with a 19 year old car.

Will run Forever.
By Ben Frink

1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for years and it's still in good shape. With only a few major repairs (brakes, exhaust) it hasn't missed a beat and it gets great gas mileage too. Coming on 160k miles now and it looks like I'll be able to keep this for years to come.

Great cheap used car
By LmSpencr

1991 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car strictly as a route vehicle, averaging 170 miles a day. Given its age and miles (219k), this is an amazing car. There are now some leaks that need attending to, but the car is amazingly dependable and the performance is fantastic. I average more than 35 mpg in mixed driving.

Engine and transmission dependability. Handling.

Seats.