Used 1991 Honda Civic Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

91 Civic hatch back - base model
By jkmj9999

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

bought it used in 2007 & It still drives great after 17 Years !!! love it . lowered it years ago , with a set of 16 in. Alessio wheels .

Favorite Features

no Fancy features - simple little car - Nice !

Suggested Improvements

Improvements !??? already improved !

cheap and reliable
By malcolm

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Everything works on it, and that includes even the tape deck! It has no optional equipment, is very stripped down, which I love. In two years, I've replaced the exhaust system, brake calipers, and CV boot. It has almost 150,000 miles and I expect to get 150,000 more. It costs me about $42/month to insure and I spend, even with gas exceeding $2.70/gal $25/week in gas. Everyone who tells me they had one, wishes they still had it, I've never heard anything bad about these cars. Perfect for students or commuters, and very roomy.

Favorite Features

Stick shift is fun to drive, and it's very close to the ground, so you really feel the speed. Very simple 2 mode windshield wipers, no complicated electronics, can't beat the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Has a weird, flat gel-based paint job that attracts grime, looks horrible and is difficult to clean. The mufflers have regular problems for some reason, and I would not include the plastic bumper strip on the side of the car.

Built to drive
By billysim47

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1991 Honda Civic 2 door Hatchback with 141000 miles and now have 182000 miles. So far I replaced a rear brake clamp. It is time for a timing belt replacement. This car has consistently given 36-44 miles per gallon with 39 being the average when driven 55mph. It is very reliable and nice to drive. It has a 5 speed standard transmission.

Favorite Features

It hugs the road nicely with custom rims and 195 x 65 x 15 tires.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had cruise control.

One of the best cars
By David

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Excellent car, easy to drive. Looks small but has a lot of interior space if you need to move something, just put down the two passenger seats and "voila" Big space. My 80 pounds dog loves the ride. I have taken long trips with my girlfriend and we have plenty of space for our things. Good on gas, I get about 40 mpg. Excellent machine, in 3 years I haven't hade any mechanical problem (regular maintenance like changing battery and radiator fan, but this is regular like changing ACs, faucets, or ceiling fans on your house).

Favorite Features

It's light, smooth, fast (it takes longer than a 300 HP car to built speed, but it will get it).

compact
By Hondaparts03

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

89 to 91 civic si, are just simply fun. I owned one since 91. No trouble at all, until around 100k miles, i changed the cv joint and alternator. Thats about it. Just last summer, i changed the motor into a B16. 2000 Si motor. Everything fits great. Now i have 160 hp VTEC. 13K miles.

Favorite Features

most of the parts can be custom. I currently have interga leather interior, center piece console, and many other parts. GAS SAVER.

Suggested Improvements

nothing much.