1991 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
An ok car
By kenny117 on 06/22/12 16:15 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I Have had a 91 civic dx (with a d16z6 engine) and It drove well. They are nice little eco cars but they get stolen alot because of it. mine was a canadian model and stolen twice before 2000 when it came to the US and then it was stolen another three times. But I also have had a 91 CRX hf and they both ran well and lasted 300k+ miles. The worst part about this car this whole car is... No cup holders, but other than that and being stolen alot it was a great cheap car that got 30-40 mpg (hb) and 40-50 mpg (CRX)

1991 Honda Civic Dx bought 3/2012 for $5900
By autoguns on 04/05/12 22:47 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car. Bought 3/2012 from dealer for $5900. Driven by older lady just to store and garaged. Had 25,000 miles and everything looked new.No rust as not driven in rain nor snow. Had records to prove it. Everything works and expect to own it for at least 200,000 more miles.Cheap to register and insure .

Reaching the age of maturity, finally
By pennified on 08/28/11 08:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I have had a great run with this car as it is approaching 21 years old. Drove it off the dealers lots brand new. It has been through a lot of wear & tear and just keeps performing. Purchased for reliability. (Ironically became car young lads sought after and often approached to sell it....was stolen for this reason & recovered) Accommodated my changing needs over the years. Been another member of family. Now that it is in its twilight year on the road, it will be reborn to race in the ice racing circuit. Retired to the race track. Or not, as may continue on the road under relative's care. Can't keep this car down! 325,000 and counting.......

Reliable Car
By matt052794 on 08/28/11 02:22 AM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 91 civic for 175 bucks CAN with 229,000km (which is low for the year) not too long ago, under 2 months. no problems so far, and doubt there will be any. it has the 1.5 5 speed, car has power for what it is. bought it off an old lady that owned it since new, just needed a timing belt when i got it.

What more can I say?
By matt on 09/05/10 14:35 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

My brother-in-law gave me this car when he bought a newer car, an Accord. He always maintained it per Honda recommendations & had very few problems with it. I have only needed minor repairs since I've owned it. It has the typical rust problem that most hondas in Michigan have. I am impressed with the reliability of this car. It was built to be simple, reliable, & economical. By the way, it has 584,000 miles on it as I write this review & it still runs good but the body will not hold out much longer. What more can I say?

Best Car Ever!!!
By mike gee on 03/31/08 22:23 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I had this car since I was 16 yrs old bought it for about $9,000 out the door. It was only a standard but really love it for the reliability because I never replace the starter yet and all my parts for the most part is lifetime. It finally seized up on my on 03-21-08 now put a ZC in engine from Japan and runs excellent will keep this car forever. This car was worth buying and Honda should make a newer model with the same engine because the price on gas is just going up and if I didn't have this Civic I will be broke. I put si seats from the junkyard and got it upholstered and now it's leather and hugs my body while I am driving so if you want a reliable car this car is the best ever...

The red car
By tom palenchar on 11/25/07 11:03 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

This is a very reliable car for us. The performance is quite good and the gas mileage is excellent, especially considering the current price of gas

I highly recommend Honda's
By Sealgyr on 11/13/06 09:57 AM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought it from a friend of mine, who only used it for long trips on the east coast. It had no rust and under 100 thousand miles on it. A year later it has 150 thousand miles, and still runs strong. it's fun, sporty, can carry heavy loads and has never broken down on me. I had the oil changed at Walmart, they never put new oil in it. I ran it unwittingly for 2 months before I realized the problem, and it's never suffered or seized. My mother had a 1986 Honda Prelude, spun it, rolled it and still drove it home. that car died out at 300 thousand miles! they're easy to fix, parts are easy to find and they are exceptionally cheap to maintain. I've done most of the work on mine, myself.

135,000 miles on it and still great
By grey ghost on 04/27/06 15:14 PM (PDT)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I got the manual 5-speed new 15 years ago and it's still going strong. I love this car. It's responsive, has excellent road feel, is extremely reliable, it gets great mileage (see below), and visibility out the front and rear windshields is fantastic. There is tons of space in the back for hauling lumber, bookshelves, Newfoundlands, bicycles, etc. etc. Even when I rent new cars for travel, I'm relieved to come home to my DX. They don't make cars like this anymore. What will I eventually replace it with? There isn't a Civic hatch anymore. Maybe I won't have to replace it, given the miles reported by other reviewers... :-)

this car doesn't mess around
By chris_E on 04/02/05 16:06 PM (PST)

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Coming from a person who has been disappointed from previous cars, this is the best purchase you can make if your budget can only afford used cars. It's very responsive in a good way. The steering control is intense. It has started every time without hesitation. The engine bay is so basic, any procedures can be serviced by yourself, time consumingly. I paid $600 and the car had 135k and I've driven it out to165k and it's still going great. That's 30k for $600, a lease for that kinda mileage would be at least triple. This car will amaze you.