Used 1990 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Honda ever in the world
By mimichar

1990 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought my Civic new, still love it after 252K miles. Nothing but routine maintenance and replacement of parts you would expect after that much mileage! Mostly city and highway driving.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Couldn't be improved on!

Tons of Reliability!
By Krissie

1990 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this little car in February of 2004, with only 98,000 miles on it! Only fix needed was a new muffler, surprisingly. This car is very warm in the winter (inside heats up fast!) and ice cold a/c in the summer. Excellent fuel economy! I get very close to 35-mpg on highway and easily 30mpg in city! The advantages are super easy to park, gas mileage and most of all, bullet-proof, long-lasting engines. Disadvantages are they say the smaller the car, the un-safer you are! True, but with the excellent reputations these cars have, I'll take the risk and keep her until the wheels fall off! I highly recommended this cute car for anyone seeking reliability and who is on a budget.

Favorite Features

Engine durability, quiet little motor, (will easily get to 400,000) fun-to- drive 5 speed, lots of head room and leg room, plenty of trunk space, interior layout, superior reputations, and for a small car, she handles very well!

Suggested Improvements

Body rusts too easily, add more horsepower, (1.5L engines are a little slow)also, and add some cupholders. Advantages will always outweigh the suggested improvements!! What do you expect, it's a Honda!

My Reliable Civic!!!
By charlie3967

1990 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Civic for 2 and 1/2 years and the only thing I've replaced on it were tires and a new radidtor hose! A zippy ride, due to the 5- speed manual. Very fun to drive, excellent handling and very dependable. Never left me stranded. Only routine maintenance required. (Oil changes, plugs, batteries,etc.). Keep your fluids changed regularly and it'll run forever. Rock solid car! Only 115,000 miles on her. Plenty of life left. I'll drive her to 300,000!!

Favorite Features

Excellent gas mileage, peppy little 5-speed, strong a/c and keeps me very warm in winter! I also love the neat tail light design. Comfy, plush seating. Reliability and interior is quiet. Not a single squeak or rattle.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is a little tight. Front and rear wheel wells rusts too easily. Center console and cuholders, this car needs! No major improvements.

Great Little Car
By Jer

1990 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic from a family friend almost 2 years ago. At that time, the car had about 180,000 miles. She was the original owner and took the car to Honda for all services, repairs, etc. As soon as I test drove it, I decided it was well worth the $1500 they were asking. Two years later, the thing still runs like a clock and doesn't miss a beat. It's become my commuter car for work as the mileage can't be beat... I get no less than 30mpg anywhere I go and it usually averages 35-40 mpg on the freeway. It is a pretty simple, barebones car... but its VERY reliable, efficient and cost effective. Especially since gas is now over $3 a gallon!

Favorite Features

The mileage, the comfort (for such a simple car) and a pretty good sized trunk. Fun and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A/C and more storage inside the car. A center console would have been great.

bad news
By guy

1990 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 8 months ago for $1500, and it had 105,000 miles on it. Ever since then, it has broken down every 2 months. First it needed a new ignition coil. $350. Then a new axle. $350. Now the entire clutch assembly needs replacing, a new clutch pedal manifold, and it needs a new distributor (coming to about $2000). Also it has a gigantic hole in the muffler, which is very loud. clutch way too close to the floor, making it far from fun to drive. Loud motor all around, with mediocre-to-less than average pick-up. The driver seat has a big rip in it, exposing foam. Leaks a little oil. This car has been a nightmare. I guess it's a lemon, based on the other reviews here being so good

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 32-35(city) and 35-40(highway)