Used 1990 Honda Civic Si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

1990 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
300,000 and going
By Ronald

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

My civic has 300,000 and its still running. Doesn't burn a single drop of oil. AC works yes I am ready for summer. Just changed the brakes will need a paint job soon. Muffler has cracked but still passed CA emissions :). I love this thing I am sure It will be a classic soon. The sunroof is nice. Put some rims and lower the car with better shocks and you got urself a very good car. Keeping it gangstar. Hella room for everything. I have the 89 civic si red like the picture. No rust so I am luckly. Its a great little car..I love it couldn't have asked for another car did I say it has 300,000 miles and still running..:)..

Favorite Features

sunroof, good looks, suspension when upgraded..ac..hella room..

Suggested Improvements

don't know because its 17 years..hack I was 4 years old when this car was made..love it as is..you can't beat a civic. honda if you're looking for something about advertisement let me know engine at 300,000 miles :) will keep going!!!!!!!!!!

Surprising
By rpthorp

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

I went from an 88 Iroc-Z, to this 90 Si, and surprisingly, I still had fun. I bought it because I wanted something more reliable, with better gas mileage that was still fun to drive. The handling was wonderful. The combination of double-wishbone suspension and the lack of power steering made you feel like you were connected with the road. And because it was so light, it really didn't need power steering all that badly. But then she bent a rod... I lost respect for my Si, along with some money, but no hard feelings. Pay attention to the belts and you won't have any problems.

Favorite Features

Surprising amount of space one the back seats are folded down. Ridiculous handling. Wonderful gas mileage (30-40).

Suggested Improvements

More power. The JDM B16 would have been magnificent.

422,000 km and still running
By EF1990Si

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

Bought my Civic Si brand new in 1990, added A/C in 92 when the new gen came out and dealer installed unit for half price. I went to Ziebart for rustproofing and undercoating in the first month, the car is only showing small rust spot on the left rear fender. Very reliable and surprisingly roomy

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, especially after I installed after market eibach springs. Not too many old cars can return 41 imperial mpg on the hwy and still able to reach 125 mph on original stock engine and 14 inch wheels. The stock seats are actually from Recaro and very comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve the locking mechanism, my car got broken into numerous times and stolen once. Finally installed alarm system and solved the problem. The muffler is poorly designed and replaced 5 times in last 18 years.

1990 Civic SI
By ereimer98

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

Bought this unit from my Mom when I was 19 years old and drove for 8 years with few problems. Great car to get through college as it looked good for its time, could get up and go and was still cheap to run and had good fuel economy. Finally sold with 209,000 miles as it was going to need its third clutch and possibly new valve guides and still got $2300 for it and upgraded to a 1998 Prelude. These cars are very popular to tuners and fetch strong money consider new it was around $10,000 new 11 years earlier.

Favorite Features

Nice looking hatchback, great interior with lots of cargo room in the back. good seats, could get up and go and handled well, very reliable and had a strong little 4 Cyl motor with lots of pep. Cool little car for its time.

Suggested Improvements

A little more hp/torque would have been nice, better factory springs and shocks to make it handle a little tighter and tended to go through mufflers every 30- 50K (common problem on these cars) Overall few complaints for a car so low in price and high on features and quality

Best car ever built?
By Simon

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

90 si still drives like a car with 60,000 miles. One thing it needs for sure is wheel alignments. The suspensions on these arn't the best (due to weak components), but considering this car does not have power steering it handles really well. I am 23 years old and i drive this car always revving to redline before shifting, driving at 120mph and it still drives awesome. Other than oil changes every 5000km's and wheel alignments every 40000km's I haven't done much on this vehicle. And i have owned it since it had 66,000 miles, it's at 245,000miles. Timing belt, and normal tune up needs to be done every 60000miles. USE 185 65 14'

Favorite Features

Accleration (considering it has a 1.6l engine), top speed 120mph, high redline, power sunroof, overall steering, fuel consumption, seats, foldable rear seats, tire size,

Suggested Improvements

Stronger suspension components, better style, more power would be nice. Honda needs to improve on its body materials and come up with something that doesnot rust easily.