1990 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Surprising
By rpthorp on 12/08/10 00:41 AM (PST)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

I went from an 88 Iroc-Z, to this 90 Si, and surprisingly, I still had fun. I bought it because I wanted something more reliable, with better gas mileage that was still fun to drive. The handling was wonderful. The combination of double-wishbone suspension and the lack of power steering made you feel like you were connected with the road. And because it was so light, it really didn't need power steering all that badly. But then she bent a rod... I lost respect for my Si, along with some money, but no hard feelings. Pay attention to the belts and you won't have any problems.

422,000 km and still running
By EF1990Si on 10/19/08 23:21 PM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

Bought my Civic Si brand new in 1990, added A/C in 92 when the new gen came out and dealer installed unit for half price. I went to Ziebart for rustproofing and undercoating in the first month, the car is only showing small rust spot on the left rear fender. Very reliable and surprisingly roomy

300,000 and going
By Ronald on 06/07/06 23:27 PM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

My civic has 300,000 and its still running. Doesn't burn a single drop of oil. AC works yes I am ready for summer. Just changed the brakes will need a paint job soon. Muffler has cracked but still passed CA emissions :). I love this thing I am sure It will be a classic soon. The sunroof is nice. Put some rims and lower the car with better shocks and you got urself a very good car. Keeping it gangstar. Hella room for everything. I have the 89 civic si red like the picture. No rust so I am luckly. Its a great little car..I love it couldn't have asked for another car did I say it has 300,000 miles and still running..:)..

Best car ever built?
By Simon on 03/30/06 16:37 PM (PST)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

90 si still drives like a car with 60,000 miles. One thing it needs for sure is wheel alignments. The suspensions on these arn't the best (due to weak components), but considering this car does not have power steering it handles really well. I am 23 years old and i drive this car always revving to redline before shifting, driving at 120mph and it still drives awesome. Other than oil changes every 5000km's and wheel alignments every 40000km's I haven't done much on this vehicle. And i have owned it since it had 66,000 miles, it's at 245,000miles. Timing belt, and normal tune up needs to be done every 60000miles. USE 185 65 14'

1990 Civic SI
By ereimer98 on 09/12/05 19:53 PM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

Bought this unit from my Mom when I was 19 years old and drove for 8 years with few problems. Great car to get through college as it looked good for its time, could get up and go and was still cheap to run and had good fuel economy. Finally sold with 209,000 miles as it was going to need its third clutch and possibly new valve guides and still got $2300 for it and upgraded to a 1998 Prelude. These cars are very popular to tuners and fetch strong money consider new it was around $10,000 new 11 years earlier.

Best car ever!!!!
By si on 06/26/05 17:53 PM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

This car is so much fun to drive. You feel as if you are connected to the road. The motor is strong and with 134,000 miles it has no problems. The car feels tight and shifts great. I love the styling, people are always staring at the car. Deffiently a recomended purchase.

My View
By Hitman450 on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

This is bar-none, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Nothing major has gone wrong with it that I didn't do, and yes, this car has been through a lot, but it keeps going and going. I must also say, for as old as the body design is, it still looks competitive on the street. It gets great gas mileage, considering todays gas prices. Rust? What rust? Even the smallest amount of maintainence will prevent any of that from happening on this car, and we are talking about an all minnesota car here, where rust is commonplace. I would recommend anyone to buy a civic, its one of the most reliable cars out there.

Old Faithful
By SeaKayaker on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

We've owned this car since it had 15 miles on it and still love it. We have had a string of ignition system failures (burned distributors), but I think this is behind us. We also had a vexing clutch chatter problem that Honda couldn't fix, but our local garage finally figured out. Found that if the sun roof leaks, getting the drains cleaned fixes the problem. We've had Bridgestones, Goodyears and Michelins on the car. Michelins are best.

My Second Skin
By bonifacio on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

Except for a couple of years during which I traveled long distance between LA and Chicago, I mainly drive around in circles on a little island. This car behaves like it's a part of me -- just point it and go! Unfortunately, after seeing an increasing number of truck and SUV tires breathing down my face at stoplights, I'm also beginning to imagine one of these automotive Neanderthals losing control and squashing me and my SI like a bug.

Hate to sell it!
By Glossybird on 08/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback

When I bought this Honda from a private party two years ago, it had 183,000 miles. He had taken excellent care of it and I took the chance. Now it has 217,000 and is still going strong. I have had to replace the brakes, radiator, master cylinder, the AC and tires but I don't consider those major expenses, just regular wear and tear. I put it up for sale for $2000 today and so far people who have called seem interested in paying that price for it. Overall, I love my Honda and I hate to see it go. I'll get another though, definitely!