Used 1990 Honda Civic DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Honda ever in the world
By mimichar

1990 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Bought my Civic new, still love it after 252K miles. Nothing but routine maintenance and replacement of parts you would expect after that much mileage! Mostly city and highway driving.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Couldn't be improved on!

Great Little Car
By Jer

1990 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic from a family friend almost 2 years ago. At that time, the car had about 180,000 miles. She was the original owner and took the car to Honda for all services, repairs, etc. As soon as I test drove it, I decided it was well worth the $1500 they were asking. Two years later, the thing still runs like a clock and doesn't miss a beat. It's become my commuter car for work as the mileage can't be beat... I get no less than 30mpg anywhere I go and it usually averages 35-40 mpg on the freeway. It is a pretty simple, barebones car... but its VERY reliable, efficient and cost effective. Especially since gas is now over $3 a gallon!

Favorite Features

The mileage, the comfort (for such a simple car) and a pretty good sized trunk. Fun and easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A/C and more storage inside the car. A center console would have been great.

bad news
By guy

1990 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 8 months ago for $1500, and it had 105,000 miles on it. Ever since then, it has broken down every 2 months. First it needed a new ignition coil. $350. Then a new axle. $350. Now the entire clutch assembly needs replacing, a new clutch pedal manifold, and it needs a new distributor (coming to about $2000). Also it has a gigantic hole in the muffler, which is very loud. clutch way too close to the floor, making it far from fun to drive. Loud motor all around, with mediocre-to-less than average pick-up. The driver seat has a big rip in it, exposing foam. Leaks a little oil. This car has been a nightmare. I guess it's a lemon, based on the other reviews here being so good

Favorite Features

Gas mileage 32-35(city) and 35-40(highway)

180,000 and Still Going Strong
By OregonDan

1990 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

180,000 miles and still going strong with no problems except for poor radio reception.

Favorite Features

Durability, durability, build quality, and build quality. Oh, and about 30 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

A/C! on DX model, guh!

Best value for money
By Indolawson

1990 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car 6 1/2 years ago hoping it would last 2 or 3 years. The thing is amazing--it does what it was designed to do. Provides reliable, economic transportation and offers more comfort than expected. This one has standard transmission adding to the feel of control over one's driving. Great in our Colorado winters though I had to change to tires with a higher profile than stock. We've newer cars but this is my wife's favorite.

Favorite Features

Driving control, very quick response, ease of handling--the economics and reliability can't be beat.

Suggested Improvements

None in that the car does what it was designed to do, and more.