Used 1997 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Indestructible
By Batman

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

A '93 Del Sol is my daily driver. I beat the HELL out of this car. I drive it like I stole it, take turns like a maniac, and perform the bare minimum for maintenance. In the last 80K miles the only thing to break was the distributor cap. At 190K miles the car is still on its original clutch. This is unheard-of. The car keeps going and going, and absolutely will not die, sort of like that dude in that movie. Girls think it's "cute," which is okay I guess. It also goes for about a year on one tank of gas. Okay maybe not a year, but you get the point. It's ridiculously reliable and pretty fun to drive. Buy one.

What a great car
By reo4ua

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 170k on the odometer to commute back and forth to work. My buying decision was based in large part on the reviews I read here while researching. To have as many miles on it as it does, this is one tight little car. Burns/leaks nothing! 100% bone stock and fairly well cared for. One month after buying I drove back home for a funeral 800 miles round trip. Ran it pretty hard and no trouble at all. Don't expect a lot of pep...not much power under the hood on the s model. Don't pass up the opportunity to buy one in good shape. Already 2 offers to buy mine.

Favorite Features

-gas mileage -targa top -gas mileage -dependability -I'm 6'6" and have plenty of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

-Doesn't really matter as they aren't making this car anymore.

302000 miles
By kmm215

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

Really, can I say more than that? 302K miles I've driven my del sol! And its still running strong...I recently purchased an '07 civic and am keeping my del sol for a summer car. Really I'm spoiled with great gas mileage and a targa top, but to follow up my review from 2+ years ago, this is by far the coolest most practical, impractical car I've ever owned!

Favorite Features

targa top, huge trunk...reliable, reliable, reliable!

Suggested Improvements

I still don't like the cup holders and now after nine years of being a contortionist with my morning coffee, I'm having a hell of a time using a "Normal" cup holder! :)

97 del Sol
By del Solorator

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

Bought this 97 del Sol Si in March 2007 in Oregon and drove it east 3,333 miles to Maine. Great weather and great drive. Car had 68K miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. Everything worked and was well taken care of. Paint a little dull, but has improved reasonably, polished with wax. MPG is impressive, getting 36 MPG cross country at high speed. Normally gets 40 to 42 in my rural drives. Interior is great and ergonomics very good. Love the motor. Will be upgrading bushings, added 16 inch alloys with 205/45 summer tires. Settled the ride nicely after 14 inch OEMs were taken off. A fun, economical 2 seat convertible. This thing is a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Take the solid top off, store it in the trunk frame and it's a targa. Even with top stored, there's still enough room in trunk to allow touring.

Suggested Improvements

Some stiffening would help, so will add a bar across the front shock towers. An H frame will also be fitted under the car. Other mods are possible later on.

Best car on the road
By Karen

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

This little car is reliable, fun, fuel-efficient, and great in the snow. Don't let the small size fool you. The trunk is big enough for weekly grocery shopping. I've even gone camping in it - tent and all! The small size means that it can get out of tight spots that other cars can't and parking is a breeze. The front wheel drive means it's great in bad weather and maneuvers well in all weather and at all speeds. The small engine is all that's needed, and mileage is anywhere from 35 to 40 mpg. I've owned this car for 8 years and have spent $5,269.46 on maintenance and repairs, including oil changes and tires. I don't ever want to give this car up!

Favorite Features

Rear window and convertible option. It's great to have that flexibility. Love the way it handles around turns. Also, knowing that if I ever break down I can push it all by myself if need be (after-effect of BMW breakdown trauma).

Suggested Improvements

Manufacture them again! I know "bigger is better" is the American motto, but some of us disagree and would like the option to buy what suits our lifestyle.