Used 1997 Honda Civic del Sol S Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Fun in the sun
By caneco95

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

I just purchased this car and I can see it is not going to be my summer, weekend, beach car but will replace my CRV as my daily commute car. A small step down, but as someone mentioned it is a fun car to drive. As a guy, I couldn't care less that it's labeled as a "chick car" or some people call it "cute". Fun trumps cute 8 days a week and then some. I did a search and looked at comparable cars like the Mazda Miata and the TR7, both two seaters, but Honda quality and the fact that it was a hard top won out over my other choices. Even though I would have preferred the manual drive, the automatic is no slouch. If you have the chance to drive one and buy it, do. You won't be sorry

Hard top roof, compact size, gas mileage, it's a Honda.

Instrument panel layout is awkward. Interior light is not very bright. THIS SITE This is an automatic car. The drop down menu only has choices for manual.

What a great car
By reo4ua

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 170k on the odometer to commute back and forth to work. My buying decision was based in large part on the reviews I read here while researching. To have as many miles on it as it does, this is one tight little car. Burns/leaks nothing! 100% bone stock and fairly well cared for. One month after buying I drove back home for a funeral 800 miles round trip. Ran it pretty hard and no trouble at all. Don't expect a lot of pep...not much power under the hood on the s model. Don't pass up the opportunity to buy one in good shape. Already 2 offers to buy mine.

-gas mileage -targa top -gas mileage -dependability -I'm 6'6" and have plenty of leg room.

-Doesn't really matter as they aren't making this car anymore.

Best car on the road
By Karen

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

This little car is reliable, fun, fuel-efficient, and great in the snow. Don't let the small size fool you. The trunk is big enough for weekly grocery shopping. I've even gone camping in it - tent and all! The small size means that it can get out of tight spots that other cars can't and parking is a breeze. The front wheel drive means it's great in bad weather and maneuvers well in all weather and at all speeds. The small engine is all that's needed, and mileage is anywhere from 35 to 40 mpg. I've owned this car for 8 years and have spent $5,269.46 on maintenance and repairs, including oil changes and tires. I don't ever want to give this car up!

Rear window and convertible option. It's great to have that flexibility. Love the way it handles around turns. Also, knowing that if I ever break down I can push it all by myself if need be (after-effect of BMW breakdown trauma).

Manufacture them again! I know "bigger is better" is the American motto, but some of us disagree and would like the option to buy what suits our lifestyle.

Get manual transmission for great MPG
By Sue G

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

I owned a 97 del sol S with 5 speed manual transmission, it's ultimate gas saver and such joy to drive. It's a shame Honda doesn't bring this car back to market. it's very solid build and never break. Later my husband talked me into getting an automatic transmission and sold the one with manual shift, the MPG drop drastically from average 37MPG to 27 MPG, not talking about the fun of driving is gone. So I highly recommend pick and stick shift if you are in the market for Del Sol.

Targo top, exterior style, gas saver, crisp 5 speed shift, solid build interior, extremely low maintenance, never break if you take care of it.

better drink holder, fix the leakage on the roof. better manufacture sound system.

Del Sol Rocks
By Cary Honda Fan

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

Having owned one Acura Integra, three Civics, and one Accord, I admit to being a Honda fan! We looked at the Honda S2000, but the price for a fun car was out of our range. We purchased this 97 Del Sol for what the taxes would have been for the new S2000 and we totally love it. The targa top is great. Gas mileage is unbelievable. The noise and air flow with the top out, windows down (including rear window) is very comfortable. We can actually carry on a conversation at 75 mph on the interstate. Did I mention fun? This is the most fun conviertible that I have ever driven. Just got back from California where I rented a Mustang convertible (2007) and the Del Sol totaly was more fun.

Easy targa top removal and storage and still plenty of room in the trunk. Fun, fun, fun. This thing is so much fun and the 5 speed is fast. A/C cools well. Honda radio is great.

Would love to see a new Del Sol in addition to the s2000. Cup holders are hard to use, but at least they are there.