1997 Honda Civic del Sol - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:
Fun in the sun
By caneco95 on 03/25/13 08:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

I just purchased this car and I can see it is not going to be my summer, weekend, beach car but will replace my CRV as my daily commute car. A small step down, but as someone mentioned it is a fun car to drive. As a guy, I couldn't care less that it's labeled as a "chick car" or some people call it "cute". Fun trumps cute 8 days a week and then some. I did a search and looked at comparable cars like the Mazda Miata and the TR7, both two seaters, but Honda quality and the fact that it was a hard top won out over my other choices. Even though I would have preferred the manual drive, the automatic is no slouch. If you have the chance to drive one and buy it, do. You won't be sorry

What a great car
By reo4ua on 12/23/09 10:31 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 170k on the odometer to commute back and forth to work. My buying decision was based in large part on the reviews I read here while researching. To have as many miles on it as it does, this is one tight little car. Burns/leaks nothing! 100% bone stock and fairly well cared for. One month after buying I drove back home for a funeral 800 miles round trip. Ran it pretty hard and no trouble at all. Don't expect a lot of pep...not much power under the hood on the s model. Don't pass up the opportunity to buy one in good shape. Already 2 offers to buy mine.

Best car on the road
By Karen on 12/24/08 14:27 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

This little car is reliable, fun, fuel-efficient, and great in the snow. Don't let the small size fool you. The trunk is big enough for weekly grocery shopping. I've even gone camping in it - tent and all! The small size means that it can get out of tight spots that other cars can't and parking is a breeze. The front wheel drive means it's great in bad weather and maneuvers well in all weather and at all speeds. The small engine is all that's needed, and mileage is anywhere from 35 to 40 mpg. I've owned this car for 8 years and have spent $5,269.46 on maintenance and repairs, including oil changes and tires. I don't ever want to give this car up!

Get manual transmission for great MPG
By Sue G on 09/27/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

I owned a 97 del sol S with 5 speed manual transmission, it's ultimate gas saver and such joy to drive. It's a shame Honda doesn't bring this car back to market. it's very solid build and never break. Later my husband talked me into getting an automatic transmission and sold the one with manual shift, the MPG drop drastically from average 37MPG to 27 MPG, not talking about the fun of driving is gone. So I highly recommend pick and stick shift if you are in the market for Del Sol.

Del Sol Rocks
By Cary Honda Fan on 10/06/07 13:38 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Having owned one Acura Integra, three Civics, and one Accord, I admit to being a Honda fan! We looked at the Honda S2000, but the price for a fun car was out of our range. We purchased this 97 Del Sol for what the taxes would have been for the new S2000 and we totally love it. The targa top is great. Gas mileage is unbelievable. The noise and air flow with the top out, windows down (including rear window) is very comfortable. We can actually carry on a conversation at 75 mph on the interstate. Did I mention fun? This is the most fun conviertible that I have ever driven. Just got back from California where I rented a Mustang convertible (2007) and the Del Sol totaly was more fun.

Great Car!!
By RD on 01/11/06 13:53 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Though this car may seem simple, it's got everything you need. I've owned mine for a little over a year now, and I'm in love. It has required very little $ for maintenance, and it is truly a fun car to drive. Perfect for driving to and from work or even on a trip (especially in the summer with the top off!).

Nice little car.
By LUVinIT on 08/02/05 18:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Had a '91, CRX before purchasing this car. Needed more air flow - got it. Love to drive it with the top off. Averaging 34 city/40 highway. Put 195's on it sticks to road. Going on 150k miles and still running strong. No problem passing emission tests. Great car for the money.

Sean's del Sol Experience
By Sean Swanson on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

After taking a used '95 del Sol for a test drive and falling in love with it, I decided to buy one new from the local dealership. I drove other two-seaters (like the Mazda Miata) and found the del Sol much more roomier and it performs better. My actual gas mileage was over 30 mpg and I do a lot of city driving. The top stores easily in the trunk without taking up any trunk space and because it's a hard top, it has been great for winter driving as well.

More fun than ever!
By R.E. Majoros on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

When faced with the conundrum of purchasing a new vehicle, I wanted more than anything to stay with Honda and a convertible, but the S2K was too much money. The car was about an hour away from where I lived, and had been a weekend car for two sets of owners. It was perfect, and had really low miles. I cannot imagine owning any other car! And with the way Hondas are built I don't think I will ever have to! It handles like a dream, is spacious for tall people (I am almost 6'), and is just an all out fun car to drive! This was by far the best car I have ever driven or owned!

Another 15 Years?
By Bob K on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

I bought the del Sol used after 15 years driving a Honda CRX Si. As with my CRX, I have not had any trouble with the del Sol, except a small trunk leak. I get between 30 and 38 mpg (winter to summer) . The car is just plain FUN to drive! I recently put on bigger rims and tires (15x7, 195x50R15) and it made the del Sol even MORE fun to drive (MUCH more so! well worth the money). Engine power in the S model is OK but my old CRX was quicker. If you can find an Si or VTEC del Sol consider it.