1997 Honda Civic del Sol - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:
Fun in the sun
By caneco95 on 03/25/13 08:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

I just purchased this car and I can see it is not going to be my summer, weekend, beach car but will replace my CRV as my daily commute car. A small step down, but as someone mentioned it is a fun car to drive. As a guy, I couldn't care less that it's labeled as a "chick car" or some people call it "cute". Fun trumps cute 8 days a week and then some. I did a search and looked at comparable cars like the Mazda Miata and the TR7, both two seaters, but Honda quality and the fact that it was a hard top won out over my other choices. Even though I would have preferred the manual drive, the automatic is no slouch. If you have the chance to drive one and buy it, do. You won't be sorry

Very fun car for the price
By germanhondaguy on 09/26/12 14:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I bought mine for $3000. It is an automatic Si but man is it quick. Sure It's not a 12 second car but it is really fun to drive and that's the point. The mileage is great. Only problems I have are that the suspension is rough and the interior is kind of bland. I was impressed to find two cup-holders in a car this size. The trunk was also very sizable, I fit more in it than my Civic EX The '97 also doesn't leak like previous models. It has 170K on it and runs perfectly fine except for my one tie-rod that is wearing out ($15 part) All-in-all if you want an economic car that is actually fun to drive, This is the car to get.

So far so good
By blouderback on 01/06/11 14:22 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I just bought this 1997 Honda del Sol a few days ago. So far, I am enjoying driving it. The seats are a little narrow, and are not adjustable in that regard (no lumbar adjustments). I am somewhat disappointed at the cup holders. Also, the dome light doesn't really light up much of anything, making th einterior very dark, even with the dome light on. There are no lights around the floor area either. Locking the doors is kind of a hassle. You have to hold the inside release latch open and then lock the drivers door, otherwise you have to use the key from the outside to lock it. Gas mileage is 30+, even while I'm driving it like a race car!

Indestructible
By Batman on 07/28/10 08:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

A '93 Del Sol is my daily driver. I beat the HELL out of this car. I drive it like I stole it, take turns like a maniac, and perform the bare minimum for maintenance. In the last 80K miles the only thing to break was the distributor cap. At 190K miles the car is still on its original clutch. This is unheard-of. The car keeps going and going, and absolutely will not die, sort of like that dude in that movie. Girls think it's "cute," which is okay I guess. It also goes for about a year on one tank of gas. Okay maybe not a year, but you get the point. It's ridiculously reliable and pretty fun to drive. Buy one.

What a great car
By reo4ua on 12/23/09 10:31 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 170k on the odometer to commute back and forth to work. My buying decision was based in large part on the reviews I read here while researching. To have as many miles on it as it does, this is one tight little car. Burns/leaks nothing! 100% bone stock and fairly well cared for. One month after buying I drove back home for a funeral 800 miles round trip. Ran it pretty hard and no trouble at all. Don't expect a lot of pep...not much power under the hood on the s model. Don't pass up the opportunity to buy one in good shape. Already 2 offers to buy mine.

302000 miles
By kmm215 on 03/22/09 19:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

Really, can I say more than that? 302K miles I've driven my del sol! And its still running strong...I recently purchased an '07 civic and am keeping my del sol for a summer car. Really I'm spoiled with great gas mileage and a targa top, but to follow up my review from 2+ years ago, this is by far the coolest most practical, impractical car I've ever owned!

97 del Sol
By del Solorator on 02/25/09 19:47 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

Bought this 97 del Sol Si in March 2007 in Oregon and drove it east 3,333 miles to Maine. Great weather and great drive. Car had 68K miles on it when I pulled out of the dealership. Everything worked and was well taken care of. Paint a little dull, but has improved reasonably, polished with wax. MPG is impressive, getting 36 MPG cross country at high speed. Normally gets 40 to 42 in my rural drives. Interior is great and ergonomics very good. Love the motor. Will be upgrading bushings, added 16 inch alloys with 205/45 summer tires. Settled the ride nicely after 14 inch OEMs were taken off. A fun, economical 2 seat convertible. This thing is a blast to drive.

Best car on the road
By Karen on 12/24/08 14:27 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

This little car is reliable, fun, fuel-efficient, and great in the snow. Don't let the small size fool you. The trunk is big enough for weekly grocery shopping. I've even gone camping in it - tent and all! The small size means that it can get out of tight spots that other cars can't and parking is a breeze. The front wheel drive means it's great in bad weather and maneuvers well in all weather and at all speeds. The small engine is all that's needed, and mileage is anywhere from 35 to 40 mpg. I've owned this car for 8 years and have spent $5,269.46 on maintenance and repairs, including oil changes and tires. I don't ever want to give this car up!

Get manual transmission for great MPG
By Sue G on 09/27/08 10:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

I owned a 97 del sol S with 5 speed manual transmission, it's ultimate gas saver and such joy to drive. It's a shame Honda doesn't bring this car back to market. it's very solid build and never break. Later my husband talked me into getting an automatic transmission and sold the one with manual shift, the MPG drop drastically from average 37MPG to 27 MPG, not talking about the fun of driving is gone. So I highly recommend pick and stick shift if you are in the market for Del Sol.

Great all season car!
By jim wallace on 08/10/08 12:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1997 to replace my wrecked 1992 Geo Storm GSI and this car has performed great giving me 10 years of almost zero maintenance. All I have done to this car is replace the tires and low cost general maintenance. I have not needed to replace any expensive items on this car like timing chains or major engine repairs. The car originally came with Yokohama tires that were designed for summer use, not winter. All I had to do was go through one winter with those tires and knew I needed a better tire that was more for Nebraska winters. I switched to Bridgstone Potenza R92's and this car is a Japanese tank that does not get stuck in the snow, even uo to 15 inches! Believe it!