Used 1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Civic-del-sol - Consumer Reviews

VTEC 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

Wifes forever car
By gramps48

1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

Just hit 200K asked wife about a new car, Daggers flew. SO time for a new timing belt, going to have seats upgraded and a paint job. Nobody builds a car like Honda 200k still runs like new uses no oil and 30mpg on premium of course. Have never replaced anything, except tires Batteries and belts. A 5 speed standard shift. I know gramps drives easy. Wrong! WE live in TX speed limit 70 here 80 mph West TX. If your not running 90 your in the way. THis is one fun car and what can I say 200k and we are keeping it. Is it a soft riding blimpmobile. Nope It is a fun little roadster; Can you travel in it? with a good friend and hard bottom yes WE have done 900 mile trips in one day;

Favorite Features

Hard top convertable, Top is light easy to put in the huge trunk and still pack for a weeks trip. Great for two people but make sure you like each other as your up close and personal.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back. Could use some in the cab storage space and cup holders. It is a little tight in there on a long trip. if you can't hold it and drive it goes in the trunk.

VTEC model
By TM

1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

I picked up my del Sol VTEC a year or so ago and have loved every bit of it. I was lucky to find the top model with the DOHC 160 HP engine, and still get 30+ MPG highway and about the same in city. The acceleration is great, ride is smooth and driving with the targa top off is possibly the most fun next to a real convertible, it's a blast cruising around in, even with close to 180K miles! Aftermarket upgrade are easily and readily available for it still which is great. Overall, if you have the opportunity to find a del Sol and drive it, it would be well worth it at any age.

Favorite Features

B16A2 DOHC engine, power rear window and I personally like the bumper w/o driving/fog lights for the 96-97 model years.

Suggested Improvements

I'm in agreement with others in why did they stop making this awesome car. I would suggest buying Shin-Etsu grease from a local Honda dealer for the roof seals, it helps with any squeaks and keeps the seals from getting weathered.

A car you could take to bed...
By SRS

1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

My Del Sol VTEC has been the best car I've ever owned. It responds willingly to any request for performance, rides reasonably well for a sports car, and has unique and attractive styling. Talk about a pocket rocket! It kills me to sell mine, but we've got a baby coming...

Favorite Features

Easy-as-pie removable top, stupid-proof reliability, great resale.

Suggested Improvements

Don't change a thing, just bring it back into production!

Car of the year!
By Soccershortz

1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

This is a car that I would reccoment anyone have as long as it is the vtech and has some power with aftermarket parts. Featured in Fast and the Furious

Favorite Features

Body build and drive. The power

Suggested Improvements

Euros and kits lots of extras premium sound