Used 1996 Honda Civic del Sol Si Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Best vehicle I've ever had
By Valerie

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

I have been continually impressed with my gas mileage, handling and the overall reliability. I am also very happy that the value has remained virtually the same as the purchase price. Maintenance has also been at a minimal cost. Honda will always be my brand of choice after this awesome experience!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Large trunk space, Easily removable hard top

Suggested Improvements

Addition of running lights that come on when the engine is running.

It won't stop runnning
By Jim

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

So, at 120K, I was worried, when will this 'dream' end. Did homework and considered a TDI VW. Hmmm, not so good. Kept it and put up with 38 - 40 mpg. THEN - - - manifold blew out. Know what, it was still covered under warranty - - extended to 12 years! Give me a break. Now, hitting 180K, the thing still continues to drive. Love to get to hear if anyone's has died yet. THEN clutch went! Oh-oh, $2.00 for hydraulic clutch fluid. Now, at 190K, it still goes. GO HONDA! To bad GM and Ford have not learned a lessen, why support cars that aren't built to last like this? GREAT CAR.

Favorite Features

HMMMM - - all of it

Suggested Improvements

YEAH! Why'd you quit making this incredibly reliable car that gets VERY decent mpg and NEVER DIES!

Love my del sol
By delsolomio

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

I have loved every inch that I've driven in this car and every second I sat at idle. OK, so it's a bit underpowered when trying to merge onto the freeway--especially with the AC on. Big deal. Mine has regularly gotten 38 mpg for city driving and nothing beats that! The targa top is lightweight, but solid and very easy even for a wimp like myself to install or store. Mine has the 6 cd changer in the boot behind the driver's seat and the audio blows me away. Wind noise is at a minimum with the top off and with the power rear window, controling the air flow is a cinch.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration off the line & very nimble handling. Gotta love the audio system, too.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are inconvenient in the center console behind the driver's elbow.

I am going to miss her...
By lucky

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used from Carmax. Low miles and in very good shape. My wife liked it at first, so I was skeptical thinking it was a "chick car". I have to tell you, the first test drive and my opinion changed quickly. This car is quick, shifts strong (even as an automatic) and handles wonderfully. I truly lost all preconceptions of it being a feminine car and I have loved driving it every since. And, it gets stares from old and young alike. Very cool. It's a great honor to have driven one, but the new baby addition to our family just doesn't fit the 2-door sport car mold anymore, so I have to say "so long, my beauty".

Favorite Features

engine performance, interior design, transmission feel

Suggested Improvements

wheels that fit the wheel wells better, maybe a small body drop to make the stance more agressive (these can be done aftermarket anyway, I just didn't have the cash to do it).

I am going to miss her...
By Lucky

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

Favorite Features

engine performance, interior design, transmission feel