Used 1996 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Wifes forever car
By gramps48

1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

Just hit 200K asked wife about a new car, Daggers flew. SO time for a new timing belt, going to have seats upgraded and a paint job. Nobody builds a car like Honda 200k still runs like new uses no oil and 30mpg on premium of course. Have never replaced anything, except tires Batteries and belts. A 5 speed standard shift. I know gramps drives easy. Wrong! WE live in TX speed limit 70 here 80 mph West TX. If your not running 90 your in the way. THis is one fun car and what can I say 200k and we are keeping it. Is it a soft riding blimpmobile. Nope It is a fun little roadster; Can you travel in it? with a good friend and hard bottom yes WE have done 900 mile trips in one day;

Favorite Features

Hard top convertable, Top is light easy to put in the huge trunk and still pack for a weeks trip. Great for two people but make sure you like each other as your up close and personal.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back. Could use some in the cab storage space and cup holders. It is a little tight in there on a long trip. if you can't hold it and drive it goes in the trunk.

VTEC model
By TM

1996 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

I picked up my del Sol VTEC a year or so ago and have loved every bit of it. I was lucky to find the top model with the DOHC 160 HP engine, and still get 30+ MPG highway and about the same in city. The acceleration is great, ride is smooth and driving with the targa top off is possibly the most fun next to a real convertible, it's a blast cruising around in, even with close to 180K miles! Aftermarket upgrade are easily and readily available for it still which is great. Overall, if you have the opportunity to find a del Sol and drive it, it would be well worth it at any age.

Favorite Features

B16A2 DOHC engine, power rear window and I personally like the bumper w/o driving/fog lights for the 96-97 model years.

Suggested Improvements

I'm in agreement with others in why did they stop making this awesome car. I would suggest buying Shin-Etsu grease from a local Honda dealer for the roof seals, it helps with any squeaks and keeps the seals from getting weathered.

Best vehicle I've ever had
By Valerie

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I have been continually impressed with my gas mileage, handling and the overall reliability. I am also very happy that the value has remained virtually the same as the purchase price. Maintenance has also been at a minimal cost. Honda will always be my brand of choice after this awesome experience!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, Large trunk space, Easily removable hard top

Suggested Improvements

Addition of running lights that come on when the engine is running.

It won't stop runnning
By Jim

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

So, at 120K, I was worried, when will this 'dream' end. Did homework and considered a TDI VW. Hmmm, not so good. Kept it and put up with 38 - 40 mpg. THEN - - - manifold blew out. Know what, it was still covered under warranty - - extended to 12 years! Give me a break. Now, hitting 180K, the thing still continues to drive. Love to get to hear if anyone's has died yet. THEN clutch went! Oh-oh, $2.00 for hydraulic clutch fluid. Now, at 190K, it still goes. GO HONDA! To bad GM and Ford have not learned a lessen, why support cars that aren't built to last like this? GREAT CAR.

Favorite Features

HMMMM - - all of it

Suggested Improvements

YEAH! Why'd you quit making this incredibly reliable car that gets VERY decent mpg and NEVER DIES!

Love my del sol
By delsolomio

1996 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I have loved every inch that I've driven in this car and every second I sat at idle. OK, so it's a bit underpowered when trying to merge onto the freeway--especially with the AC on. Big deal. Mine has regularly gotten 38 mpg for city driving and nothing beats that! The targa top is lightweight, but solid and very easy even for a wimp like myself to install or store. Mine has the 6 cd changer in the boot behind the driver's seat and the audio blows me away. Wind noise is at a minimum with the top off and with the power rear window, controling the air flow is a cinch.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration off the line & very nimble handling. Gotta love the audio system, too.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are inconvenient in the center console behind the driver's elbow.