Used 1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC - Consumer Reviews

VTEC 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

My favorite vehicle
By Bill Paul

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

Wish I stilled owned it. I traded my 93 Del Sol Si for my 94 Del Sol VTEC. More power, stabilizer bars, other features. The 160hp out of a 1.6 liter engine was the most powerful factory engine on the market that wasn't turbocharged. I kept it ten years, sold it, and got exactly my asking price. No need to advertise or haggle, I just put a For Sale sign in the window and people were stopping me on the street. It's a head-turner, probably because there are not many around. Also, due to mild winters here, my Del Sol was almost factory new looking.

The roof is a very nifty feature, stores in the trunk in a minute or less, and still leaves plenty of room for luggage for two for weekend, or even week-long, trips. My wife and I drove it everywhere, it pretty much replaced our Accord for short trips, just because it was so much **fun** to drive! Great gas mileage, good acceleration, and the manual almost shifts itself while still letting the driver know who's in charge.

No improvements, Honda doesn't make it any more. But a suggestion, if you can find one, get it, you won't regret it! If you really want the VTEC, though, be sure that's what you're getting. People were buying the VTEC logo at dealerships and gluing it to the rear trunk so the S or Si would pose as a VTEC. If it's original, the VTEC came, as Henry Ford said, in any color you wanted, as long as it was black (or for the Del Sol, red). If it's white, green, blue, or anything other than black or red, it is not a VTEC or it's been painted. Ask questions. The VTEC engine logo was very prominent on the engine, and the beefed up stabilizer bars could be seen under the hood. Buyer beware. Enjoy!

Will be a classic someday...
By Tom

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

I have always admired the Honda Del Sol for its great design and very neat Targa top. Last month I finally had a chance to buy one - a 94 in amazingly good condition with the VTEC engine. I have to say that in all my 40 years of driving this is the most fun car I have ever owned - not just because of its zippy handling and strong-revving engine but because there is something so perfect and no-nonsense about the shape, design, functions, dash, controls. Driving with the top off and the windows rolled down is just about as much fun I think as driving gets. Mine has 83,000 miles after 15 years of use and looks and runs like it was no more than a few years old. Great car.

Targa top, simple design, reliability of Honda, overall quality of build... and the fun factor.

Wel...since there won't be any more built I will just say look for some well kept models and keep 'em running well.

Never getting rid of her
By Deena

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

Fell in love, had to have one, bought her in 1999. Never let me down, still looks like a dream, though a new paint job wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't sell her for a million bucks. Can't beat 35+mpg on the highway and around 30 in town.

Rear window rolls down, which offers the right amount of breeze.

Cup holders stink, badly placed and are now broken.

My First Love
By JES441

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

First saw this car at a custom compact car show. Didn't know what it was but knew I wanted one. Drove 10 hours to get it. Perfect car for a weekend drive or even a daily commuter. Lots of power to play with and handling is top notch. I have no regrets getting this car. Some guys have old camaros or chevelles in their garages... I have my del Sol.

Targa top. VTEC power (100hp per liter!). Tight manual trans. Rear dropping window. Great seats. Rarity of vehicle.

Silly cupholders. Typical Honda rear fender well rust spots. Some interior plastics feel cheap and hard.

Clean
By Hotwheels

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

i love the del sol. they are a great car and mine is the b16 kind from factory and it's rare. very fast car. love the roof how it stores in trunk and in case it rains don't worry about it. less than one minute you will be good to go. i have owned two del sol that is how much i like them.

roof comes off. two seater. comes with fog lights. and best of all vtec

trunk should open from inside, just have power door locks