Used 1994 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
My favorite vehicle
By Bill Paul

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

Wish I stilled owned it. I traded my 93 Del Sol Si for my 94 Del Sol VTEC. More power, stabilizer bars, other features. The 160hp out of a 1.6 liter engine was the most powerful factory engine on the market that wasn't turbocharged. I kept it ten years, sold it, and got exactly my asking price. No need to advertise or haggle, I just put a For Sale sign in the window and people were stopping me on the street. It's a head-turner, probably because there are not many around. Also, due to mild winters here, my Del Sol was almost factory new looking.

Favorite Features

The roof is a very nifty feature, stores in the trunk in a minute or less, and still leaves plenty of room for luggage for two for weekend, or even week-long, trips. My wife and I drove it everywhere, it pretty much replaced our Accord for short trips, just because it was so much **fun** to drive! Great gas mileage, good acceleration, and the manual almost shifts itself while still letting the driver know who's in charge.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements, Honda doesn't make it any more. But a suggestion, if you can find one, get it, you won't regret it! If you really want the VTEC, though, be sure that's what you're getting. People were buying the VTEC logo at dealerships and gluing it to the rear trunk so the S or Si would pose as a VTEC. If it's original, the VTEC came, as Henry Ford said, in any color you wanted, as long as it was black (or for the Del Sol, red). If it's white, green, blue, or anything other than black or red, it is not a VTEC or it's been painted. Ask questions. The VTEC engine logo was very prominent on the engine, and the beefed up stabilizer bars could be seen under the hood. Buyer beware. Enjoy!

Reliable but wimpy.
By smurfless

1994 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

It's light, corners well for such an imbalanced weight distribution, and is otherwise a fabulous piece of machinery. The paint does chip easily, especially evident in the hood and front fenders. The rubber seals around the doors and roof seem to slowly start dissolving at about 4 years of age, but no leaking yet. The speakers are adequate, but the included stereo is the first thing to replace though. A name-brand under-200 dollar CD/radio has been a great improvement. Very impressive reliability record. A more stylish commuter car than the CRX or *ick* Geo, and more efficient than taking the family car.

Favorite Features

Stereo face flip-cover, trunk-able roof, lockable containers behind seats.

Suggested Improvements

Wider tires to improve braking performance - too easy to slide in emergency situations when braking far too hard. Perhaps ABS. Harder/more durable clearcoat and paint.

Fun while it lasted
By D-Bizzle

1994 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

I've had 2 Del Sols so far. This was my second one after the first was in a flood. This car did not even have 100k on it when we had to replace the headgasket, then it overheated again. It was the radiator, $1500 in repairs. Now this car is totalled too because my boyfriend decided to run it into a concrete wall on the highway. I miss the ride, the functionality of the top, the wind in my hair, the gas mileage. But all the Del Sols I get are ripped away from me! Why oh why?

Favorite Features

I loved the hard top, no replacing it, not one can get in. I love the back window. Why is Honda sooo smart?

Suggested Improvements

Put something like this car back on the market Honda! There are no hard topped convertibles out there like this one! Oh, can the cup holders. I went to walmart to get the ones that go in between your seat, much more functional.

The Couriers Who Know Me
By Terrell Van Romack

1994 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Dallas and Fort Worth freeways will never be the same when i trade my 94 del sol into the dealer for a new 4- door civic (time will tell)8 months of 90 mph 9-5 M-F set my record straight, and 80,000 miles later it is at 150,000. The only dissapointment were the exit ramps off of freeways. The short wheelbase made handling at a maintained speed uncomfortable. Fuel economy was a consistent 39 Hwy/ 37 with the a/c on. Oil, antifreeze, plugs...Nothing was a problem. Saturday afternoon with the hardtop off is too cool for the average man or woman to own.

Favorite Features

Sheer convenience ingenuity. The ease of knowing my movements fromt the stick the the a/c or wheel are comfort as an all-day driver. The electric rear window is perfect day or night and even a security feature. Two interior storage containers behind the seats were invaluable.

Suggested Improvements

Electric seatbelts would be the sprinkles on the ice cream the add a sixth gear (to maintain 4000RPM) and i think were talkning rainbow sprinkles.

Peppy Little Car
By Delsoul2nr

1994 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

With 143,000 miles the SOHC Vtec engine still runs like new, typical of Honda quality. It's fast stock but there are plenty of aftermarket bolt ons to increase the horsepower drastically. Though I've made no real changes to the exterior styling, it still turns heads. Since I've had it there have only been a few problems. I just replaced the master cylinder, roof leaks if not lined up perfectly, and the dash rattles. Overall it's a fun, inexpensive car with a huge trunk and very comfortable on road trips...seems the more I open it up on the expressway, the more it wants to go.

Favorite Features

Targa top, large trunk, surprisingly comfortable seats and plenty of leg room, Not a B16 but still peppy, exterior styling, number of aftermarket parts available

Suggested Improvements

Less squeeky interior trim, better weather trim, more interior space