Used 1994 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

My favorite vehicle
By Bill Paul

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

Wish I stilled owned it. I traded my 93 Del Sol Si for my 94 Del Sol VTEC. More power, stabilizer bars, other features. The 160hp out of a 1.6 liter engine was the most powerful factory engine on the market that wasn't turbocharged. I kept it ten years, sold it, and got exactly my asking price. No need to advertise or haggle, I just put a For Sale sign in the window and people were stopping me on the street. It's a head-turner, probably because there are not many around. Also, due to mild winters here, my Del Sol was almost factory new looking.

The roof is a very nifty feature, stores in the trunk in a minute or less, and still leaves plenty of room for luggage for two for weekend, or even week-long, trips. My wife and I drove it everywhere, it pretty much replaced our Accord for short trips, just because it was so much **fun** to drive! Great gas mileage, good acceleration, and the manual almost shifts itself while still letting the driver know who's in charge.

No improvements, Honda doesn't make it any more. But a suggestion, if you can find one, get it, you won't regret it! If you really want the VTEC, though, be sure that's what you're getting. People were buying the VTEC logo at dealerships and gluing it to the rear trunk so the S or Si would pose as a VTEC. If it's original, the VTEC came, as Henry Ford said, in any color you wanted, as long as it was black (or for the Del Sol, red). If it's white, green, blue, or anything other than black or red, it is not a VTEC or it's been painted. Ask questions. The VTEC engine logo was very prominent on the engine, and the beefed up stabilizer bars could be seen under the hood. Buyer beware. Enjoy!

good, cute, reliable little baby car
By louie almeida

1994 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

At its first sight on our city road, i've said to my self, someday i wanna own this car cause i was then new here in the country and still coping with the environment. once i got employed i immediately searched and bought this car. and no regret, i love it. almost maintenance free if not low cost to maintain. i love the gas mileage consumption. i love the style, the practicality to use, and plan to keep it for so long till it becomes rare and antique/vintage or becomes collector's item. so for those out there who owns one, try to keep and maintain it and you'll be delighted.

style, gas mileage, reliability, interior design, and the rear window roll down function. it's unique

i wish Honda would re-introduce the model again and i wish they make a rear wheel drive or rear axle drive so that it would be fun to drip

Will be a classic someday...
By Tom

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

I have always admired the Honda Del Sol for its great design and very neat Targa top. Last month I finally had a chance to buy one - a 94 in amazingly good condition with the VTEC engine. I have to say that in all my 40 years of driving this is the most fun car I have ever owned - not just because of its zippy handling and strong-revving engine but because there is something so perfect and no-nonsense about the shape, design, functions, dash, controls. Driving with the top off and the windows rolled down is just about as much fun I think as driving gets. Mine has 83,000 miles after 15 years of use and looks and runs like it was no more than a few years old. Great car.

Targa top, simple design, reliability of Honda, overall quality of build... and the fun factor.

Wel...since there won't be any more built I will just say look for some well kept models and keep 'em running well.

I love my Del Sol, I'll never sell it!
By penny

1994 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

It's been almost 15 years since I purchased my '94 samba green si and I've racked up 209,000 miles. Three cross country drives from TN to CA, countless drives between MI to FL and it has been my only vehicle for commuting. I've followed Honda's recommendations for service and have never had any major issues. Nowadays I'm living in Ohio and admit that it doesn't handle especially well in snow over 6 inches, but the front wheel drive helps. The paint held up great and it looks pretty shiny and new still. It's a pleasure to drive on curvy roads and I really enjoy the smiles the little kids give me. It's a great conversation piece.

The power back window is used on a regular basis to vent fresh air. I love the room in the trunk. Most people are surprised at the space. Most new cars today are half the space. The gas mileage has really been a savior on my wallet when the price of gas rises.

Improve the cup holders, add a little more power and please please please bring back the Honda Del Sol.

Never getting rid of her
By Deena

1994 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

Fell in love, had to have one, bought her in 1999. Never let me down, still looks like a dream, though a new paint job wouldn't hurt. Wouldn't sell her for a million bucks. Can't beat 35+mpg on the highway and around 30 in town.

Rear window rolls down, which offers the right amount of breeze.

Cup holders stink, badly placed and are now broken.