Used 1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Civic-del-sol - Consumer Reviews

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Most Helpful|
I still love it...refuse to sell it.
By Brent P

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car in 1996. It has been daily driver ever since. My wife & I have 2 kids & we can't bring ourselves to sell it. It makes a great commuter car & a great third "fun" car. I was going to buy a Miata, so glad I didn't. This car has a lot of room for a two seater. I can fit my lawn mower in the trunk w.the handles folded:)& close the lid. We have taken it on numerous vacations. I have only had to replace the distributor, besides the regular scheduled things. We have over 165,000 miles & I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere.

Favorite Features

the roof. timeless design, doesn't look like a '93. the trunk is huge. easy to maintain, parts are reasonable. ergonomics are very good. interior & seats very comfortable for tall & short people. seats are very nice & supportive

Suggested Improvements

roof rattle (fixed in the later years), better aux. lights, cup holder requires being double jointed @ the elbow.

Still in love
By madsci

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

Bought my Si in 1993 and have never regretted it. Standard maintenance + replaced radiator & alternator. In 2005 my Honda dealer said I needed $2800 in preventive repairs so I decided to sell. Put a deposit on another car, couldn't sleep all night, went in and got my deposit back and took my del Sol to an independent mechanic. He did everything necessary for $800 and I'm still driving it, and I sleep well every night :-). I'm in the NE so I'm getting some rust damage and I have to replace some exhaust element every few years (can be big $$!) I get almost 40 mpg (5 spd manual) and I'll drive this car until one of us won't go anymore. At this rate (14.5 yrs and counting) it might be me!

Favorite Features

Style (black w/ spoiler), roof, pickup, turning, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Make More! Parts are getting pricey. Same as others: sun visors/cup holders.

Excellent car for a me and my purse
By Carol

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

My car is a '93 with 163,000 miles and runs as new. I just repainted it, have '17 chrome wheels and looking cool, nobody believes is a 17 years old car. Engine is excellent, the only thing I have to fix is a oil leaking, and the ac broke in the middle of Miami summer. It doesn't run more than 80 mph, but that has keep me free of speeding tickets. It's a very small car, so think is more for a single hot girl ;)

Favorite Features

Hard roof, love my car with the top off. Back window, so refreshing. Radio cover. Comfortable seats. I'm 5'4", space is good for me. Storage with lock behind the sits. Surprisingly trunk is huge.

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately there's a lot of leaking coming from the roof when rains. Roof make a lot of noise, lol, like an old bed. Needs better interior lighting. How can I open the trunk from inside the car? I don't really care about the cup holder. I love my Nirvash :)

A Car For The Ages
By goscience

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe Si 2dr Coupe

I want to second what all the previous reviewers have said. This car is an exceptional vehicle for the money. Reliable, fun to drive, driver comfort is excellent. This is not a muscle car; but who needs one. It has sufficient acceleration for passing and entering a highway and for long distance, the car just hums along super stable at 80 mph. I purchased my 1993 SI new and with regular maintenance it just keeps on trucking, I have 95,000 miles. I recently did a 4,000 mile driving trip from San Francisco along the West Coast up to British Columbiua. Then across and through the Canadian Rockies and back down through the Cascades. The car never failed me.

Favorite Features

The targa roof, huge trunk--something almost essential for a 2-seater, the design that keeps the airflow above the driver's compartment allows roof off in cold weather. The short length gives you an edge in tight city parking. I added an aftermarket radio/CD/4-speaker assembly and later replaced it and added connection for iPOD.

Suggested Improvements

Everybody has complained about the cupholder. BTW: I don't know about rattles, but after a while, the roof panel squeaks. This is because the rubber seal softens and (maybe) oxidizes and gets sticky. I bought a can of silicone spray and that did the trick. I intend to keep this car for a long time. Especially now that people have reported getting 200,000+ miles.

Love my del Sol
By gtags1

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

When my daughter got her license rather than find a car she was comfortable with I gave her my 2009 Civic (which has 120K on it). I was lucky to find a 93 del Sol automatic with only 85K, new paint job and tires for $3500. To say driving it is a blast is an understatement. The driving position is low to the ground reminding me of my 85 Prelude. Pop the top off and put it in its holder in the trunk and slide down the back window and its a dream to drive on a summer day. Power won't blow you away but that's not what this car is about, it's just fun to drive, it handles great, is very stable and on my first fill up I got almost 37 mpg! Looking forward to having this car for many more years!

Favorite Features

Removable top and slide down rear window. Low seating position, huge leg room

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more pickup.