1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:
Love my del Sol
By gtags1 on 08/25/14 11:55 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

When my daughter got her license rather than find a car she was comfortable with I gave her my 2009 Civic (which has 120K on it). I was lucky to find a 93 del Sol automatic with only 85K, new paint job and tires for $3500. To say driving it is a blast is an understatement. The driving position is low to the ground reminding me of my 85 Prelude. Pop the top off and put it in its holder in the trunk and slide down the back window and its a dream to drive on a summer day. Power won't blow you away but that's not what this car is about, it's just fun to drive, it handles great, is very stable and on my first fill up I got almost 37 mpg! Looking forward to having this car for many more years!

Awesome little sports car!
By big_clocks on 12/07/13 19:57 PM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

Bought a black 93 Del sol S with 121k miles on it about 3 months ago. It was an amazing car while it lasted. It got great gas mileage and never had a problem. Unfortunately, I was cut off and this car was absolutely totaled. I gotta say, for such a small car, it kept me safe, I had no injuries whatsoever, in a 50mph crash. Too bad it hadn't held up better though, the engine was toast because the front end didn't hold up. I plan on buying another one any day now, I love these cars!

Best car I have ever owned
By David on 07/16/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Del Sol last summer for 3100, A STEAL in my opinion. GETS AWESOME GAS MILEAGE, I average 38 mpg. Is great overall, I would say the only complaint is that it is to perfect, lol. I only have 116k on mine, and would expect her to go another 200k without any trouble. If you are considering buying a Del Sol, I would say make sure to get one that is stock, It seems like to many people think it is cool to modify these Del Sols and make them look terrible. I have only replaced the speakers since the old ones died. I just wish there where more of them out there. I have only ever seen 2 others since i have owned mine.

Lots of bang esp for the buck
By BJ Adair on 04/27/10 22:21 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

I drive it pretty hard and it always responds with virtually no problems.

371,000 Miles and Counting
By John on 10/18/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

I bought the car new in 1993. At 288,000 miles I bought a Japanese exchange engine because the original engine started to use oil and it was cheaper to buy a "used" engine from Japan and replace the clutch. Total cost about $1800. I love the car even though it is noisy, the sun visors are useless, and there are no functional cup holders. Besides the replacing the engine the only time I had a mechanical problem was when the distributor wore out at 295,000 miles. That is the only time in 15 years the car stranded me. It gets 32 to 35 mpg and that's driving at 80+ mph. It is a great car overall even though it has the less powerful engine.

My '93 Honda Civic Del Sol
By Cliff Hatfield on 09/10/08 07:26 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

I love this car. I'm trying to get it set up for track racing, but me being 17 and in high school make it hard for me to work on it and only a very small budget. but one day you will see it somewhere.

rare sol
By 1993 S automatic on 08/29/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

Honda tends to do things right even on my first year del sol S ['93]. However they really missed the market when they only offered things like cruise, power mirrors, remote trunk release, etc on the SI's. I owned a '93 four door civic which had all the creature comforts that the del sol lacks. The del sol is fabulous but not equipped to be a day tripper. Seats come up short for any extended drives. Maybe that is why I only have 64K on the odometer. I really miss not having a cruise control; anyone out there ever do a retrofit?

Cool Car
By Gilly on 11/05/07 08:54 AM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

With gas prices as they are, this car is a must have! I get average 36 mpg in the city but maintenance is kept up and tires are rotated every other oil change. With a vehicle this old parts do need replacement so I've probably paid twice what the blue book says it's worth yet, I won't part with it. My vehicle has a severe oil leak when driven at a high rate of speed (over 85) for a long period of time so I no longer trust her for traveling.

1993 Honda Civic del sol S [1.5 Liter]
By Svelte Bat on 11/02/06 19:29 PM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

Very reliable; very quick for engine size; very economical for performance. Most reliable automobile that I have ever owned regardless of other medium to minor discomforts such as: Targa style roof and non-gutter windows encourage leaks. Not a true sports car; not a muscle car but a very fun car to own and drive. If maintained properly expect 29+ miles per gallon around town and 39+ miles per gallon on the highway [without air- conditioning on]. Expect top speed to be no more than around 113 miles per hour [except for downhill] but 40 to 90 mph passing speed to be exceptional. Be sure to have a prepurchase inspection made by a reputable mechanic. Good Luck!

Not a Sports Car Just a Fun Car to Drive
By Svelte Bat on 11/01/06 18:16 PM (PST)

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Coupe S 2dr Coupe

The 1993 del sol S (1.5 Liter) is not a muscle car; not a sports car but just about as near a sports car that you can own that is fun to drive. It is reliable and very economical. Many youngsters like to obtain this car to put a larger motor in it or you can lighten it up quite a bit by taking some things off/out of it to make it perform even better. However, I use it for work each day and have no inclination to do such drastic modifications. Expect exceptional gas mileage (29 mpg around town and 39 mpg on the highway) and performance in stock condition is impressive so long as you properly maintain it with regular oil/filter changes and other recommended maintenance.