Used 1993 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Love my del Sol
By gtags1

1993 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

When my daughter got her license rather than find a car she was comfortable with I gave her my 2009 Civic (which has 120K on it). I was lucky to find a 93 del Sol automatic with only 85K, new paint job and tires for $3500. To say driving it is a blast is an understatement. The driving position is low to the ground reminding me of my 85 Prelude. Pop the top off and put it in its holder in the trunk and slide down the back window and its a dream to drive on a summer day. Power won't blow you away but that's not what this car is about, it's just fun to drive, it handles great, is very stable and on my first fill up I got almost 37 mpg! Looking forward to having this car for many more years!

Favorite Features

Removable top and slide down rear window. Low seating position, huge leg room

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more pickup.

Awesome little sports car!
By big_clocks

1993 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Bought a black 93 Del sol S with 121k miles on it about 3 months ago. It was an amazing car while it lasted. It got great gas mileage and never had a problem. Unfortunately, I was cut off and this car was absolutely totaled. I gotta say, for such a small car, it kept me safe, I had no injuries whatsoever, in a 50mph crash. Too bad it hadn't held up better though, the engine was toast because the front end didn't hold up. I plan on buying another one any day now, I love these cars!

Favorite Features

Back window rolls down, removable hard top

Suggested Improvements

Fix the cup holders and the leaky top, and you have a perfect car.

A Car For The Ages
By goscience

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I want to second what all the previous reviewers have said. This car is an exceptional vehicle for the money. Reliable, fun to drive, driver comfort is excellent. This is not a muscle car; but who needs one. It has sufficient acceleration for passing and entering a highway and for long distance, the car just hums along super stable at 80 mph. I purchased my 1993 SI new and with regular maintenance it just keeps on trucking, I have 95,000 miles. I recently did a 4,000 mile driving trip from San Francisco along the West Coast up to British Columbiua. Then across and through the Canadian Rockies and back down through the Cascades. The car never failed me.

Favorite Features

The targa roof, huge trunk--something almost essential for a 2-seater, the design that keeps the airflow above the driver's compartment allows roof off in cold weather. The short length gives you an edge in tight city parking. I added an aftermarket radio/CD/4-speaker assembly and later replaced it and added connection for iPOD.

Suggested Improvements

Everybody has complained about the cupholder. BTW: I don't know about rattles, but after a while, the roof panel squeaks. This is because the rubber seal softens and (maybe) oxidizes and gets sticky. I bought a can of silicone spray and that did the trick. I intend to keep this car for a long time. Especially now that people have reported getting 200,000+ miles.

Why did I ever buy a Ford?
By IllChillKyle

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

To start, I traded a lower mileage 2001 Ford Mustang Premium for this Del Sol, but it was completely worth it. I can't imagine myself without this car. The previous owner didn't treat it too well so I have replaced a few parts, but still haven't spent over $1000. It handles amazingly, even on snow (no sliding) and bumps (can't feel them). MPG is a blistering 40+MPG. I live in Ohio and it stays cold for awhile yet I drive around in snow with the targa off. The cabin is so small it stays warm enough to make you sweat. It is my first manual and it took the abuse of me learning without any damage. I will never sell this car!

Favorite Features

Targa top, low cost parts, easy to work on yourself, amazing MPG, comfortable interior, overall styling, lock boxes behind the seats, amazing for audiophiles, retractable rear window, heats up quickly for winter driving, handles superbly, adjustable steering wheel. Way too many to list!

Suggested Improvements

Interior lights in the front, perhaps on the RV Mirror, in-cabin trunk release, better weather-stripping, antenna on top, wider stance, B18C5 Turbo AWD 6-speed, alarm, tow package, more aggressive look, thicker rocker panels, better paint, TPS, low fuel light, heated leather seats, and a few more...

1993 Honda Civic Del Sol Si
By Jonathan

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I recently purchased a 1993 Honda Civic Del Sol Si used with 170,222 miles on it. The car was purchased as is and had natural wear and tear. The purchase price price was $3,600 out the door. I took it immediately to a Honda dealership that I trust and purchased my other vehicle from. I had roughly $1,600 worth of repairs done to it. The costs were mainly due to labor charge but I was able to get extra services done for free. The belts were replaced and most seals replaced along with replacing all the fluids in the car. The windshield wipers were replaced as well. I enjoy the car and trust it to take me across the country, no problem. Total investment on this car is $5,200.

Favorite Features

Removable Top and rear window lowers. Top stores away in the trunk. Great acceleration and lots of room to upgrade with aftermarket parts. Dealership gave me a 12,000 mile/ 1 year warranty for all the work done.

Suggested Improvements

Car was made in 1993, it was build great for 17 years ago. No improvements.