1991 Honda Civic CRX 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Attractive appearance and performance

1991 Honda Civic CRX Hatchback - Consumer Review

Attractive appearance and performance
By Frank Mansion on

1991 Honda Civic CRX HF 2dr Coupe

Currently at 95K miles and 15 years old my HF model gets 47.5 MPG.When it was 3 years old the a/c compressor clutch failed and was converted to R134a.It cools to 40F which is just as good as R12.I can pick up the transmission with one arm so replacing the clutch was easy.The car is now worth less than my wristwatch and parts on ebay are available cheaply. I have maintained the paint and get asked if it is repainted. The air conditioner control panel cracks easily so be careful turning the knob. A replica control panel from a restoration company would be nice along with foam seat buns. The distinctive styling is still attractive and the CRX will always be the most fun for the money.

Favorite Features

Steering is quick and brakes good which are its major safety features.My 47.5 MPG is at 70 MPH so the excellent aerodynamics really make the difference.The computer has a flashing LED to tell you what is wrong,this is the car to have if you want to avoid mechanics.

Suggested Improvements

Replace your rear trailing arm bushings since they do not last.Tuners remove HF parts so go buy a pair of front knuckles on eBay in order to swap out if your wheel bearing fails.Black Again was a good preservative for the exterior but was sold and reformulated and now inferior.