Used 1990 Honda Civic CRX Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Civic-crx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic CRX model:

One of the geatest Hondas built
By Stephen

1990 Honda Civic CRX 2dr Coupe

I have owned a CRX for going on 2 years now. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. I bought it with a JDM B16 swap in it. Even though it has a bigger engine than stock, it still gets about the same MPG, averaging about 28-30 in town and 36-38 on the highway. Having the extra power makes it more fun to drive too. Now having almost 260,000 miles on her, she is still kickin down the road.

Favorite Features

The styling was I think before its time in the late 80s early 90s. I like all the mods you can do to it.Over all its a great car.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if it was AWD. Maybe a 6 speed version. And power windows.

A Ringer
By Pat

1990 Honda Civic CRX 2dr Coupe

Honda needs to bring the CRX back. It has few comparisons on the road today or in its day. I have owned my 90 CRX since new and am now looking for an new car and can not find anything that compares. Hands down my CRX beats what's offered today in this category in styling, handling, comfort, mileage (33/40), and interior room. There are more powerful cars on the road but at 92 hp this can still keep up in most traffic and after 18 1/2 years still accelerates in fifth gear while going up hill on the highway. Alas, winter salt has attacked the sheet metal (rear wheel wells and rocker) to the point that it is not economical to fix. I have 245,000+ miles on her and would get 50K or more I'm sure

Favorite Features

Seats are deep and give great lateral support. You sit 'in' them not on them like anything offered today. Gas mileage is GREAT! Styling still gets looks. Std. Trans is fun to drive. Cargo capacity is impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, bring it back, bring it back! This time with ABS stability control, airbags all around. Keep it light and tight. Don't steroid it up and over price it. Be faithful to the CRX look too. You listening Honda?

What more could you ask for
By Joe

1990 Honda Civic CRX 2dr Coupe

I love this car, I bought it with 89,000 miles on it in 2004, it now has 108,000 (its actually an 88) and I fell in love with the fuel economy (38- 42 mpg) and the smooth 5 speed. It is a wonderful alternative for someone who has little money, but still wants a sporty car. It is a hoot to drive on twisty backroads with its light weight and sporty suspension. I keep thinking that an S2000 would be nice, but I keep reminding myself that this CRX fulfills all of my needs. Hondas are great!

Favorite Features

The interior is very simple but very well built well. My CRX interior is in better shape than most, so that could be why I like it so much

Suggested Improvements

I do notice some rust popping up in some places, but hey it's the late 80s. I upgraded the stock speakers because they were outdated.

old blue
By old blue

1990 Honda Civic CRX 2dr Coupe

This car is known as old reliable. This car only require oil and gas. It avg about 36 mpg that is better than most vehicles today.

Favorite Features

Car is very small can get into tight places. This car is very small but has a lot of leg room, very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

A little loud on the hwy, the only other bad thing is that honda has not made a new one.

Re-introduce this car again
By Patrick

1990 Honda Civic CRX 2dr Coupe

This is the best car I have ever owned, period. Its fuel economy is great at 33- 50mpg depending on my driving situation; great load capacity from the back hatch; style that 16 years later still has people commenting on and admiring; Mechanical reliability and noticable performance. I can still accelerate on an upgrade in 5th gear. My only regret is the harsh winters of the Northeast has taken its toll on the sheet metal around the rear wheel wells, but then that is the case with any vehicle. Honda would do well to reintroduce this car with all the millenium technology improvements. After 230K I am considering a new car but have hesitated buying. There is nothing that comes close to the CRX.

Favorite Features

Style, great mileage, performance, load capacity, comfort, fun to drive. Interior styling is comfortable with leg room and seat witdth you would expect to find in a large sedan. Its a two seater so has a sporty feel while being practical.

Suggested Improvements

Air bags, ABS brakes, Hybrid option are all good improvements to reintroduce this car. I would HD galvinize the body panels to make them rust resistant. The only negative to the CRX is its rear side visability which some creative design can get around.