Pleasant surprise!
By dnoveau on
2013 Honda Accord Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)
Admittedly, two weeks in the new Accord really doesn't give enough data support my positive reactions to this car. Coming out of a 2010 Honda Insight, almost any bigger car would seem vastly better. I tested: Caddy A class, Nissan Sentra and Altima, '13 Civic, Volt, Fiat Abarth, several Fords, Audi 3, BMW X1, and others. The base BMW was pretty nice, and the only real competition in my tastes, but a lot more $. The Accord Sport has a great combination of features without being overly "loaded" and the price is great. Several cars ago, my wife had a 2007 BMW 530. The Accord compares favorably in size and convenience, if not in high speed (+90) stability, for about one third the price.
Favorite Features
CVT!, room, gas mileage (27 in city traffic), electronics, power. I didn't think the car would be as fast as it seems to be. I initially thought it felt fast, but coming out of the Insight, what wouldn't? Yet the auto press says it does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, which is pdf. I don't really care about that in real life, but it's a good comparison statistic. When you drive the car fast, it really does seem to get smaller because it's so agile. Yet, driven reasonably, the CVT keeps the rpm down to 1100 all the way up to about 40 mph; this is perfect for my stop-and-go, 35 mph commute. I grew to love the CVT in my Insight, and this one is far better.
Suggested Improvements
Power folding and heated side mirrors. (the car is pretty wide) A leather option on the Sport model without all of the other items that come on the EX-L. Variable assist steering for one finger parking but less assist over 10 mph. These are minor suggestions, not even gripes. I am very very happy with the Accord as is. Did I mention that my monthly payment went down a little? ($9) And my insurance premium, too? It's a real good deal!