2013 Honda Accord Consumer Review: Better than the last generatio

2013 Honda Accord - Consumer Review

EX-L Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. CVT Automatic)

Better than the last generation...
By pkl226 on

2013 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned each of the past 6 generations of Accord, plus an Acura TSX thrown in, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about the car. This 9th generation is worlds better than that '08 I owned prior -- the build quality is better (no squeaks/rattles yet), better fit/finish, impressive fuel economy, more fun to drive, etc. My car is a later build '13, so I have none of the CVT juddering issues, radio lag/freezing issues, or squealing brakes that many have complained about. I can understand others' frustrations -- my '08 had many teething problems of a new generation. The car doesn't feel bloated & sluggish like the prior generation -- the 2.4L makes the most of its 185hp/181lb torque.

The smart key system has worked well so far. I think the touch screen radio in the EX-L is overkill and frustration to work with (I'm talking about overall functionality; mine doesn't have the software issues of the earlier builds). I actually prefer the layout of the lower non-leather models. I am very satisfied with the seat comfort, driving position, LaneWatch camera, and I actually LOVE the CVT transmission (if I didn't tell you it was a CVT, you may mistake it for a traditional 5spd auto).

The Forward Collision warning, while cool/techy, is practically useless because the non-adjustable volume is TOO LOW. It's barely audible even with the radio off. It also has many false alarms, and I have it set on the least-sensitive setting. Lane Departure Warning (LDW) works as advertised but suffers from the same volume issue above. I didn't think I'd like the LaneWatch camera in the rearview mirror, but it has become one of my favorite features. It is worth a jump to the EX+ models for this.