Very close to the perfect car
By cmk921 on
2012 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 6M)
I had a 2009 Accord EX-L 5M sedan that I used for work and a 2006 Corvette convertible (6M) that I used for fun. As often happens in life, circumstances dictated that it would be wise to have one car to do everything. (Divorces suck.) How to combine a work car and a fun car into a fun work car? I need room to haul large items for work, a backseat that 3 kids can inhabit, bulletproof reliability, decent bad weather traction (I live in Cleveland) and enough of a fun factor to keep me entertained - and not miss a Corvette. Also, a manual transmission was a non-negotiable must-have. An upscale brand could also be unwise for business. So I found a car that really does do everything well.
Favorite Features
The 3.5L is a truly great engine, combining low end torque and a willingness to rev that is fairly rare. It sounds great, too - thanks, VTEC engineers. The medium-throw shifter is a joy to use, and the clutch becomes very user friendly once you get used to it's unexpectedly light effort. The steering is very good, if shy of great. The car can certainly get up and move when you ask it to. The exterior styling is vaguely Italian in a FWD sort of way; the lines are generally very pleasing to the eye. The audio system is much better than I expected, and the iPod integration was a pleasant surprise. The cargo and passenger space borders on the unbelievable in a mid-sized coupe.
Suggested Improvements
The brakes are about average, and certainly not special. Some of the interior carpeting cuts don't quite match up correctly. FWD brings it's own demerits. Torque steer is present, and the car could really use a LSD. Road noise is always present in classic Honda fashion. My overall MPG is just ok, around 23.5 with a lot of highway miles. I like digital speedometers, and there's no digital speedometer. The instrument display is a little bland, some blue and orange lights could have been stolen from the Acura bin. I'd like to damn the OE Michelins with faint praise; better rubber would turn this car into a top notch FWD sports coupe. That's why God invented the Tire Rack, I guess.
By darniz0909
on 03/15/13 11:33 AM (PDT)