Uses Oil
By hondasucks4 on
2011 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I bought a V6 Accord about a year ago. After a couple oil changes notice car was low of oil after only 5000 miles. Long story short car uses 1 qrt every 1500 miles and honda is doing nothin. Please google Accord oil consumtion before you buy. This is a very bad problem that Honda will not fix for me are many other accord owners. It anyone has questions email me [violative content deleted].
Favorite Features
Nothing
By jackd990
on 06/20/11 08:48 AM (PDT)

How often do you change your oil? I've always changed at 4000 miles and have a '98 V6 with over 200,000 miles on it. My son still has it. Even though it now leaks some oil, it still only uses about a quart between changes.

By hondasucks4
on 06/26/11 12:13 PM (PDT)

I change it as Honda recommends by the Honda dealership. After this problem started I researched it on line and its seems to have started in 2008 and is still a problem in 2011 v6(with a lot of Accord owners) you can google Honda Accord oil consumtion. One qt. per 1000 to 1300 miles is common for the v6 with people who drive alot of hwy miles. My son also has an Accord with more than 200,000 miles. Thats not how I see Honda now after 8 months of taking it to the dealer once a week they say it in within Honda spec. Just not right!!!

By bignosedog
on 08/15/11 11:01 AM (PDT)

Why do you follow the recommendations of the dealer? Don't you realize they recommend more frequent oil changes in order to make more money? I never pay attention to the dealer and follow the manufacturer recommendations instead. I've done that for 20 years and it's never created problems. I drive a 2010 Acura V6 which I'm sure is similar to what's used in the Accord and I change my oil every 6000 miles.

By jackd990
on 06/27/11 09:37 AM (PDT)

I just googled the issue and have noted a lot of complaints regarding the current V-6's oil consumption. I seem to recall that Mercedes had a similar issue some years ago and also told their owners that a quart every 1000-2000 miles was "normal." Surprising considering that Honda was originally a piston ring manufacturer (sold to Toyota in 1945-46). Wonder whether it has anything to do with the cylinder deactivation system? I asked about your oil change intervals as Toyota has had lots of problems with sludge sticking their oil control rings unless you change the oil a lot more often than the owner's manual recommends (they reportedly run their engines hotter than most folks for emission and mileage reasons). We chose to get the 4-cyl Accord this time and, so far, haven't had any oil consumption issues. Hope they straighten yours out!