Low MPG
By onlyhondas on
2011 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I have put about 500 miles on my new 2011 Accord and have yet to achieve anything near the reported MPG ratings. I was hoping that it would get better after a few fill ups but only got 17.6 mpg on this last tank that was 80% in town and 20 highway. I squeaked out 20 mpg on the previous tank that was about 60% highway. Well below the rated 27 MPG for combined driving. I love the car but the low mpg is very discouraging especially since I gave up my beloved Civic to trade up.
Favorite Features
Styling inside and out. Quiet and comfortable with good handling. Unlike others, I was able to adjust the seat and steering wheel so that I was very comfortable even on extended drives--exactly why I wanted to step up from my Civic.
Suggested Improvements
Ability to adjust front passenger seat the same as the driver's seat.
By jackd990
on 06/27/11 20:38 PM (PDT)

I've already posted about our 2011 EX-L, so I won't repeat our observations, but don't understand your gas mileage complaints. I just got 34.3 mpg on a strictly highway run at 70-80 mph, which included 10-15 min. idling in a fast-food drive-thru. We just went to a beach 3+ hrs away with a load of luggage and ran around for a week in Charleston, Savannah and Hilton Head with the A/C on and averaged 27 mpg...all on regular. Lowest mpg commuting has been 22.7 in 6000+ miles on the car. I'm sure it'll get 35-36 mpg on the highway without a fast-food stop...and with the A/C off.

By patel_dilip
on 02/08/11 18:43 PM (PST)

I have the same issue with my 2011 Honda Accord 4 cylinder. The advertized mpg was 34 for highways and 23 for city. I put 60% highway miles and 40% city miles. But the best I got so far after 2400 miles and 3 months is 22mpg. On an average I get 20-22mpg. I am really disappointed. I was expecting at least around 27-28mpg.

By oldcartoons
on 05/30/13 19:14 PM (PDT)

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with those getting low mileage on this car. We have a 2011 SE, mostly city driving and in 2 years have rarely gotten over 20mpg. We document mileage at every fill up, recording the gas station, octane rating, $$ spent and gallons filled with the current mileage. We get anywhere between 16-20mpg on a regular basis, sometimes in the 20-21 range, IN TOWN DRIVING. Highway....25-28. Nowhere near the estimated rating at all. Not pleased at all.

By wcascrs
on 03/08/11 12:37 PM (PST)

For all of you, check your tire pressures! The door jam says 32 psi, you won't hurt anything by going with 34 psi. Check them cold, in morning before driving. Low pressures will 1) hurt fuel economy 2) make your tires wear more quickly 3) cause you to have to replace tires quicker than well maintained tire and guess what? Those michelin 225/50/17s are >> $224 each, Hondas price and they ain't much cheaper online at tirerack. I'll bet the sedan can get 25 or 26 MPG , even mix of city / highway. I have the coupe. Still, even that is horrible compared to a 3rd gen Prius which in our 50+F Bay Area weather gets 50+ MPG every day. And they aren't that bad to drive at all. 'nuff said.

By th83
on 06/09/11 11:25 AM (PDT)

I honestly don't know how people get bad mileage with this car. I have a 2011 EX sedan and I have yet to get below 28 MPG on a single tank in mostly (70%) city driving. On the first tank, when the car was brand new, it got 31.2 MPG with 50/50 city/highway driving. The best tank so far was 35.6 MPG on an all-highway trip averaging 72 mph. This is all within the first 2000 miles, and that's hardly broken-in based on my experience with past vehicles. The 2011 is even much better than the earlier model years of this bodystyle. I had a 2010 and I could only get 25-28 in mixed driving and 32 all highway. And that was fully broken-in at over 10k miles. When it was new, it would only get 23-26 in mixed driving and an even 30 on the highway. I imagine that I would have to TRY to get bad mileage just to drop below the mid 20's on a single tank in the 2011. I don't even try to get good mileage with this car. It just does. How the heck do you guys drive? With your foot to the floor between every stoplight? 90 MPH on the highway? Seriously. Unless my car is a ringer (which I'm sure it is not), more people should get mileage similar to mine.

By hondalvr4life
on 02/01/11 12:08 PM (PST)

Try waiting until the car has over 1000 miles before recording your MPG. Also, avoid accelerating hard, the 2.4L engine will be much more fuel thirsty than your Civic if you are heavy on the throttle. Accords never really got great mileage in the city unless its the manual. They do however, get great mileage on the highway.