Honda brand is degrading over time
By pierre6 on
2011 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
We have owned Hondas in the past (1995 accord) and present (2007 Civic, 2004 Accord) Purchased my 2011 Honda Accord EX and 11 months has passed and on 10,000 miles on the odometer. Below are my observations: First the Bad news: (1)At 500 miles brought the car back to the dealer because the Air conditioner appeared that it did not blow cold Air. Compare it to 2004 Accord which uses the same Freon type which there was a big difference. The Dealer said that there was nothing wrong. But when it is Hot it takes forever to get cool in City driving. On the Highway it cools faster. (2) The Auto lock/unlock system. When the Car reaches 10MPH, the doors automatic lock, if they are unlock for security. When the CAR stops and the gear shift is put in “Park” the Drivers door should unlock (Passenger door unlock if you program them, as per the Manual.) My problem is when the Car is put in “Park” then the driver’s door unlocks about 60% of the time. (3) Third problem is Interior Noise. There is a creaking noise coming from the back seat. It does not respond that much to bumps in the road. It seems like two pieces of metal clicking. Most of the creaking noise is on normal smooth roads, but is very annoying. (4) My last problem and the biggest issue are the front seats. They are very hard, and on long trips my legs and back side get numb. Additionally related to seating on the driver’s side, there is not comfortable place for my left arm to rest while holding the wheel. NOTE: Our 2004 Honda Accord EX and 2007 Civic EX has been great since we purchased it new. Good news: (1) Very nice body style, which is Aerodynamic. (2) Fuel economy is great, average 31 to 32.5 miles per gallon on the interstate (75MPH). Have not reached 34 yet as Honda has advertised. (3) Reliability has always been great on our Honda’s (4) This new style type is larger than older Accords like the 2004 accord. My plan is to bring the car back to the dealer and address the issues noted above, and hope the problems get resolved. As for the Seat problems, other people’s Seat complaint’s search (Websites) has no fix from the Dealers or the Manufacturer. Many people with this condition of the uncomfortable Seats have sold or traded in their Cars, with only a few hundred or thousand miles on the odometer. I am considering on doing the same thing. In closing, the Accord is better and worst in other areas. I still prefer to drive my 2004 Accord mostly because of comfortable seats especially on long trips!
Favorite Features
(1)Very nice body style, which is Aerodynamic. (2)Fuel economy is great, average 31 to 32.5 miles per gallon on the interstate (75MPH). Have not reached 34 yet as Honda has advertised. (3)Reliability has always been great on our Honda’s
Suggested Improvements
front Seats
By pierre6
on 12/02/11 16:21 PM (PST)

Update:Third problem noted above in the upper post regarding Interior Noise. There is a creaking noise coming from the back seat. It does not respond that much to bumps in the road. It seems like two pieces of metal clicking. Most of the creaking noise is on normal smooth roads, but is very annoying. Brought the Car to the Dealer, and they indicated that Honda has a Service Bulletin #10-080 regarding this problem.Left the car with them, and picked it up later that day. The paperwork indicates that they Pry up and bend the bracket Extensions. When I arrived home after picking up the car and found that a bolt(large bolt) was missing in the back frame of the rear shelf. Called Honda company and they looked up the SB and said that the instructions say to leave the bolt out if the noise stops. WOW! Contacted the dealer and they said the same thing. Well the noise still continues, so will bring the car back to the dealer again. What happened to Honda! Anyone thinking of a honda, think twice!

By pierre6
on 01/03/12 11:43 AM (PST)

Update from previous post above: Regarding the noise in the rear shelf, installed bolt in location where the Service Bulletin 10-080 had said to leave it out. Purchased silicone Lubricate spray at Wal-Mart, and sprayed area of rear shelf on both sides from the Trunk area. Wiped off excess and left the truck open a little while to allow the lubricate to dry. Have not heard any noise for over 1500 miles so far. Total miles on car at this time is 15500.

By jackd990
on 11/04/11 17:53 PM (PDT)

As I've posted before, we have previously owned an '89 Accord LX 5-spd and a 1998 LX V-6. We now have an '11 EX-L and like it very much. Yes, the seats (leather) are firm, but so were our '98's (we added leather) and after minimizing the driver's lumbar adjustment we've found the seats to be very supportive. Cushion-wise they remind me of the seats in German cars. We have a friend who has chronic back trouble andshe and her husband have exactly the same car as ours and she's found the Accord's seats to be better on her back than their previous Crown Vic's. I might sugggest that you reduce the angle of the bottom seat cushion with the power adjustments to take pressure off the backside of your leg. Haven't had any particular problems with the A/C's ability to cool and we live in southern North Carolina and it gets pretty hot and humid here. As for the auto lock/unlock, the only time the driver's door doesn't unlock is when I switch the ignition off before shifting into park. Also haven't noted any metallic body sounds, though a previous poster here claimed that there has been some problem with a weak weld in the rear/trunk area (I couldn't find any similar complaints/ info on NHTSA's site). I've had the car on several trips and have found it to be quite comfortable and responsive (but I like a firmer-type ride than some of the Accord's competitors provide). I've also gotten 35+ mpg at 70-85 mph and believe that it'll get 36-37 mpg on a purely highway run. I hope that your dealer's able to rectify your issues, but if they don't I'd strongly urge you to call the 800 number for Honda's Customer Service. Best of luck!