Gas Mileage Not as Expected
By finallyahonda on
2011 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I bought my Accord for the reliability, resale value, styling, gas efficiency, and comfort. I tried sportier cars but liked the smooth handling and interior design of the Accord. Despite being a little noisier than I prefer, it was the best value for the price. The car looks and feels like a luxury vehicle. My husband has a 3 year old Odyssey and loves it so I thought I'd go with an Accord to be safe. It is a gorgeous car, but it is not living up to the hype. I wanted something with fantastic gas mileage but on the last few tanks I've averaged 19 miles in the city. This is not bad but I've never come close to the 23 mpg as advertised. I'm not a speed demon; I accelerate gradually.
Favorite Features
I love the interior styling. At first, I was worried the extra lumbar support would bother me but I was able to adjust the seat to a more comfortable position.
Suggested Improvements
The 4-cylinder engine is a little jerky with quick acceleration but evens out once up to speed. The handling is a little mushy but the car is easy to handle. I wish it had a tighter turning radius and that the back was a little easier to see out of. However the rearview camera makes up for any vision issues when backing up. I wish Honda made the stereo/ipod interface easier to navigate. It is impossible to skip to specific tracks or albums without scrolling through the entire album or artist list. Getting to the W's, for example, can take a while.
By kmecdd
on 09/18/11 16:47 PM (PDT)

The 2011 Honda Accord gets only 18 or 19 miles to the gallon. My complaints to the dealership and to American Honda, went unheeded. I am told that getting 6 miles beneath the lowest advertised gas mileage is normal. This is my 3rd brand new honda I have owned. The 1st two recieved well ABOVE the advertsied lowest gas mileage associated with the car. I too am a conservative driver and was shocked at how poor the fuel economy is on this car. Not only am I disappointed with my Accord as far as gas mileage goes, I am severly disappointed with both the dealerships and with American Honda's lack of concern or accountability for this issue. They did not care at all or were one bit concerned about the poor gas mileage. I would never have purchased the Accord, had I ever suspected it would get 18 mpg.

By dandavis00
on 10/02/12 09:49 AM (PDT)

My wife and I bought a fully loaded 4-cylinder accord in October 2011. We traded in her 4-cylinder 96 accord as part of the deal. Unfortunately, the MPG is nowhere near what was advertised and this was the major selling point for me. After 16,000 miles we consistently get 26-27 miles per gallon which is what we got with her old car. The window tag indicated 34MPG highway. Now I know that your milage will vary but 8mpg difference - not cool at all. Don't get me wrong, I like the car quite a bit but would probably have gone for the camry if I thought it would get better milage. Small things that are annoying with the car include no lock in the passenger side or trunk, and the navigation package is very clunky - the user interface is difficult to use and the voice commands are unsuable. Many commands result in the "show/hide restaurant" function being toggled.

By jackd990
on 08/08/11 20:24 PM (PDT)

Wow! We have an '11 EX-L and the lowest mileage we've gotten was 22.5. I've gotten over 34 mpg on the higway without the air on, but at 70-80 mph. We also love the interior (tan), the steering, handling and ride.

By jackd990
on 10/07/11 12:01 PM (PDT)

Just took my 90 year-old Dad to Washington, DC from North Carolina and got 35+ mpg on the way back (70-82 mph)...including stopping several times on the way for "pit-stops," lunch and a "brisk" 40 mile diversion on two lane roads to meet with a relative (ask the Camry Hybrid driver who we passed as he was doing 45 mph in a 55 zone...apparently trying to maximize his gas mileage...about the "briskness"). Still getting 22-23 mpg commuting! Check to see if your rear brakes aren't dragging or the parking brake isn't fully releasing.