A/C Problems
By wcbhm on
2011 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
I am a loyal Honda customer, having owned driven Honda for the last eleven years, and currently being a 2 Honda household. I traded in my 2000 Accord last fall for a 2010 Accord. Other than the sluggish performance of the base 4 cyl engine, I have been generally pleased with the car until today. I recently noticed that my air conditioner was not cooling the vehicle. When I took it into the dealer, they said that a rock had popped through the grill and punctured a small hole in the condensor. This type of environmental damage is not covered under warranty, and I owe $769 to replace the condensor on my brand new car. American Honda was no help either. I have read of similar complaints b
Favorite Features
Exterior Styling, Roomy and comfortable interior, Smooth ride
Suggested Improvements
The 4 cyl engine is very sluggish compared to the Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. I went with Honda because of reliability. Now, 6 months into ownership, I have been hit with an $760 repair on my a/c condenser caused by a small stone that went through the front grate and punctured a hole in the condenser. I have read of many other Honda owners who have had this issue. Honda will not pay for the repairs and offers no solution to prevent this from happening in the future. I am very irritated and will shop other manufacturers next time.
By robert172
on 04/07/11 19:13 PM (PDT)

How sluggish is the Honda? Accelerating from 0 to 60 in around 9 seconds is typical for intermediates with 4 cylinder engines. As for the punctured condenser, Honda really isn't liable, whether the car is new or several years old.

By buwangji
on 08/03/12 21:21 PM (PDT)

The A/C of my 9-month old Honda Accord (2012 model) stopped cooling while I was driving on a local way that was a normal city road. I took it to the dealer, assuming they would repair it without charging me anything. But, I was told that a small rock had punctured a small hole in the condenser, resulting in leakage of freon, and this type of environmental damage was not covered under warranty. I was shocked because I thought if a car could not survive a hit by such a small rock on road, where the car was designed to run? The repair cost me $605. I was very angry and determined to fight against Honda. There is a news on the internet that in May 2012 a federal judge has approved a class action lawsuit settlement for current and former owners and lessees of more than 1 million Honda Odyssey, CR-V and Acura TSX cars that allegedly suffered from broken air conditioning systems. I am pretty sure a lot of Honda Accord also suffered from the same problem. I want to join the owners of those Accord to suit Honda. Can someone advise me what I should do and which agency I should complain to?

By robert172
on 04/07/11 19:13 PM (PDT)

By enanos
on 04/10/11 04:23 AM (PDT)

A rock hitting the condenser is not the responsibility of Honda. Turn this over to your insurance company. You Americans have something happen to you and you blame everyone else for your misfortunes! A sad commentary!

By jackd990
on 06/10/11 20:26 PM (PDT)

Did you bother to check with your comprehensive car insurance carrier? Our lien-holder requires that we have a comprehensive/ collision policy (I assume most banks/finance companies do likewise) and I've known other folks who've gotten stone damage and other "Acts of God" covered by their policies. Did you have a front license plate on the vehicle and would this help protect the condenser? Have you thought about simply mounting a wire mesh screen behind the opening with some sheet metal screws? I must say that I find it hard to believe that other cars haven't had a similar problem as low-mounted air intakes are very common.

By bobdavis
on 05/06/11 01:45 AM (PDT)

Your right a rock hitting the condenser is not the responsibility of Honda. The problem is that this is happening quite frequently. The air dam is too large. That is called a defect in America. After researching this I have yet to find another car with the same problem. Just the Honda with this problem. A sad commentary by you enanos.

By mcdonald_m
on 02/28/14 10:57 AM (PST)

I took my 2012 Accord in yesterday to the local dealership due to the AC not working. the technician at the front counter said BEFORE he ever looked or drove the car that it was probably a hole in condenser and it would not be covered under warranty be expected to pay around $750 to get the car fixed. Sure enough an hour later I received a phone call stating that it was indeed a hole in the condenser. I can't believe that I have found so many complaints and Honda has neglected to either buy sturdier materials or build a dam or screen to prevent these damages. Is this just Honda's way of getting money out of people? I fully realize that it's an act of God, but if Honda has known about it this long, why haven't they come up with a better design or preventative measure? This is my second Accord, '08 and 2012. This one is supposed to be my son's when he turns 16 in a couple of years. I am extremely disappointed in Honda. If someone has info on a class action lawsuit in regards to this issue, please let me know.