Poor Gas Mileage and Oil consumption
By slazar77 on
2010 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I have a 2010 Accord V6, and i get anywhere between 14.5 - 15.5 mph. I drive in the city, do not accelerate fast, and only use Shell oil (87, sometimes 89). Tire pressure is always checked. Also, i do burn about 3/4-1 quart of oil about 1,000 miles. The dealership tells me that burning 1 quart of oil between 1,000 and 1,500 miles falls within Honda's guidelines. (Maybe they just changed the guidelines?? No other car seems to have this issue) Anybody experienced same issues. Anybody brought their car to the dealer for an "oil consumption test"? Beware buying this vehicle. It's an awesome car. But if i knew i would get an average of 15 mph, i wouldn't bought something else.
By subbiegirl722
on 07/06/14 06:55 AM (PDT)

Yes! I had the same issue. I was burning oil deep in the engine and not coming out of the exhaust or dripping. I was burning 1 quart of oil every 1k miles. With the 2010 V6 you need to monitor the oil consumption even though Honda will tell you it's normal to burn the oil. What happens with the ECO is that opening and shutting the valves constantly wears down the seals and causes scoring inside the cylinders. It will also cause vibration being felt when the ECO is on. I had to do oil consumption tests every 1k miles for 5k miles. Luckily I had an awesome Honda tech and Honda paid for the engine to be torn down. I had to replace the block ... Without the extra warrantee it would have been $6800-7000. I would definitely do the oil consumption test. Have them monitor how much oil is being consumed ... Eventually, your engine light will come on if you don't do something about it.... Don't be alarmed if it does. It means that the ECO has shut it self off because it doesn't have the proper amount of oil and you'll be running on a straight V6. I would recommend taking it to Honda but you won't break down .... I drove 150 miles on it. After taking care of that issue I now get 28-30 highway and 25-27 city mpg. Hope this helps .... Check out the Honda forums on ECO problems.