V6 VCM has serious design problems
By vu_du_man on
2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)
As evidenced by class action settlement last year the 2009 Honda Accord Coupe with the V6 variable cylinder management system is an absolute lemon and has seriously damaged Honda's reputation for producing a quality vehicles. I purchased my 2009 Honda in 2008 and started having misfire issues last year. My car has been in the shop seven times for the same issue. In December 2013, my local Honda dealership a fix to cylinders 1-4 as recommended by the service bulletin issued in response to the class action settlement. My car stalled less than week after this fix was applied with misfire issues on cylinders 5 and 6 and it has been in the shop 3 times since.
Favorite Features
Honda Tech has recommended the front head be replaced. Honda is claiming the current issues are not related to the design of the engine and is requiring me to pay $825 for labor to fix my car. When the "Check Engine" light came on my car I have always taken it to the nearest Honda dealership immediately and this car has never overheated. When they applied the fix in December, they checked the heads to make sure they were not warped. Therefore, how Honda has concluded misfire issues on the front bank cylinders are not related to problems caused by the VCM system is beyond me. Bottom-line, I strongly recommend you do not purchase any 2008-2012 Honda with the V6 VCM system.
Suggested Improvements
Replace this engine with a new design. Do your research on Honda V6 misfire issues if you're thinking about buying this car.