2009 Honda Accord Consumer Review: Locked inside car once securit

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Review

EX-L Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

Locked inside car once security system engages
By dmc812 on

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have a complaint with the security system Honda uses. I have been inadvertently locked inside my 09 Accord and unable to get out. Apparently, once the anti-theft system engages after 30 seconds, there is no way to manually unlock the car doors nor will using the key fob "unlock" button work from the inside of the car. The car can only be unlocked from someone on the outside or by starting the engine, which disengages the security system. I find this to be a huge safety issue for people that are inside the car and are accidentally locked inside w/o a key to start the engine. I have complained to Honda with no resolution to this safety concern.

Fix the security system so that people on the inside of the locked car can manually unlock the car to get out. Make it clear in the owner's manual that once the security system engages, you cannot unlock the car from the inside unless you start the engine or have someone on the outside unlock it. Never, ever enter your car without your key!!!! It is frightening to think a child (without adult supervision) could lock themselves in the car and not be able to get out.
By dmckool
on 06/16/15 20:52 PM (PDT)

this same thing happened to me today. I was in my mothers 2009 Honda accord and she got out to go into a dr appt. I stayed in the car to wait. she took the keys with her and locked me in with the remote. It was a hot muggy day today in Austin Texas and after sitting in the car for 15 min or so it started to get really hot. So I tried to open the door and none of the locks would work. I pushed every button there was to unlock the doors and they stayed locked. then I pressed the manual lock to the unlock position but the door handle remained locked. I then went into a full fledge panic attack as I could not get out and the heat in the car was rising. I was so panicked I didn't even think to make a call as I thought my phone didn't have juice. I also laid on the horn for a long time and banged on the windows trying to break them but nothing worked and no one came to check on me. In my panicked state I realized my phone had enough juice to make a call and I called the place where she was and she came out and got to me. She did not believe me that the manual locks didn't work. So I googled "can you get locked inside a Honda Accord" and found your post. I also called 1st Texas Honda where she bought the car and they said they never heard of this happening. Had this happened to her it might not have had the same ending as she is in her 80's. I want to get the word out that this can happen and not sure how. Had my phone been dead and she not come out as she did and the heat had risen or been hotter I probably wouldn't be here to write this.