Used 2009 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Bye Bye Honda
By Rob

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For the last 12 years every car I bought was a honda product. That would be 5 cars, most higher end. I bought a 2009 accord, new with a V6 and everything but Nav. I needed a valve job (4 of 6 were toast) after 8 k. The car was never the same, poor power, power fuel economy.I was concerned,the dealer said they would stand behind it. the transmission started making noise and the brakes went early.Honda claimed nothing was wrong. Brakes went early & basically honda would not stand behind product. They strung me along till i was passed lemon law miles and then said good bye. I feel this car was about what i would expect from ford for $10 k less. Honda lost me.

when you have so many major headaches there is nothing favorite about such a car

Go back to what they were doing before 2008 because I hear that accord has similar problems. I think they hit the skids w/ the rest of the auto industry and went on the cheap - so I paid top $ for a cut rate product

Reliable but has issues.
By run04

2009 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Accord Coupe brand new. Almost a year later, the clear coat and paint is starting to corrode. Honda is refusing to do anything about it and is blaming the issue on bird droppings. I have never had a car where the clear coat and paint just start to corrode this easily. The A/C really struggles in hot weather (90 degree outside temp)to make the cabin comfortable. Finally figured out that you have to run the A/C on max and recirculate the air for it to be marginally comfortable.

Outside look.

The speedometer and tachometer need to be reversed. The steering wheel is in the way of the speedometer making it difficult to read in certain positions. Make the A/C more powerful and fix the paint / clear coat issue.

Could Do Better
By CGS

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We picked the Honda because it was the least expensive car that gave us all of the features we wanted (standard, good size, leather, sun roof, good gas mileage, etc). I find it was more than a compromise for me and will look longer the next go around. I'm 56 and although my mind likes the idea of a standard, there's a reason 94% of cars nowadays are automatics (smile). I have a squeak in the steering column that annoying and my key fob is failing (all with very little use). The greatest drawback though is that the Accord is a lot noisier at highway speeds than it should be. I have six cars. This is the newest. And the noisiest. That shouldn't be in this day and age.

Comfortable space inside cabin. Good gas mileage for a larger sedan. Fairly tight suspension for back road driving but back seat passengers complained it was too "bumpy" (they felt what I didn't). Sound and heating systems were adequate.

A little too "plasticky". Bump up one notch like the older Accords. Much more outside noise control- a real drawback compared to the competition. The 4 cylinder standard is woefully underpowered in higher gears. I'd recommend splurging for the six as mileage is very close anyway.

BMW like handling in a Honda!
By Cobra podrapuss

2009 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drove my friend's 2009 Honda Accord LX on a 250 mile road trip and I feel that I got a better enough feel of this car to write a review. At highway speeds the Accord has road noise and some wind noise and ride quality is not that good. The 4 cyl engine is noisy also vibrates alot at idle. This 8th generation Accord has a cheaper feeling interior as well. The car has extraordinary handling characteristics it tracks like a locomotive and it feels very stable at triple digit speeds. Power from engine was good too. The Accord has 50,000 miles and it never caused a single problem so I recommend this car to someone looking for a reliable sedan with sporty driving characteristics

The BMW like handling, decent 4cyl power, A/C performs well, controls are intuitive, very roomy car, gas mileage good too, interior might be cheap but its durable, and Honda reliability

ROAD NOISE! cheap interior, noisy cheap sounding engine, ride quality not good Honda should focus more on quality and comfort but should keep the sporty handling as well

I thought Hondas were reliable?
By dina972

2009 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Few weeks after buying it- I had started to regret it- the exhaust was oily black soot. I took it in to be inspected and they said everything is fine because it passed emissions testing. LOL! Later, when I did casual inspection of the oil level, I noticed that it was dropping- but wasn't certain because I wasn't strict about it. I had attributed it to careless oil change-out. Long story short- I'm undergoing an oil consumption test because it consumed 1.5 qt in 7k mi. Car has 32k mi. I have little faith in them because they showed me Honda's acceptable consumption: 1 qt per 1000 miles.How's that for reliability? You think the car will pass ULEV that it claims drinking that much oil?

I love the sunroof. I hate the uncomfortable seats. No problems with brakes, yet (only that they occasionally squeak when I tap them)

Honda needs to step up and take care of problems- mainly the oil consumption, loss of coolant, and also the rattling of outside components