Used 2009 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Bye Bye Honda
By Rob

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For the last 12 years every car I bought was a honda product. That would be 5 cars, most higher end. I bought a 2009 accord, new with a V6 and everything but Nav. I needed a valve job (4 of 6 were toast) after 8 k. The car was never the same, poor power, power fuel economy.I was concerned,the dealer said they would stand behind it. the transmission started making noise and the brakes went early.Honda claimed nothing was wrong. Brakes went early & basically honda would not stand behind product. They strung me along till i was passed lemon law miles and then said good bye. I feel this car was about what i would expect from ford for $10 k less. Honda lost me.

Favorite Features

when you have so many major headaches there is nothing favorite about such a car

Suggested Improvements

Go back to what they were doing before 2008 because I hear that accord has similar problems. I think they hit the skids w/ the rest of the auto industry and went on the cheap - so I paid top $ for a cut rate product

Could Do Better
By CGS

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We picked the Honda because it was the least expensive car that gave us all of the features we wanted (standard, good size, leather, sun roof, good gas mileage, etc). I find it was more than a compromise for me and will look longer the next go around. I'm 56 and although my mind likes the idea of a standard, there's a reason 94% of cars nowadays are automatics (smile). I have a squeak in the steering column that annoying and my key fob is failing (all with very little use). The greatest drawback though is that the Accord is a lot noisier at highway speeds than it should be. I have six cars. This is the newest. And the noisiest. That shouldn't be in this day and age.

Favorite Features

Comfortable space inside cabin. Good gas mileage for a larger sedan. Fairly tight suspension for back road driving but back seat passengers complained it was too "bumpy" (they felt what I didn't). Sound and heating systems were adequate.

Suggested Improvements

A little too "plasticky". Bump up one notch like the older Accords. Much more outside noise control- a real drawback compared to the competition. The 4 cylinder standard is woefully underpowered in higher gears. I'd recommend splurging for the six as mileage is very close anyway.

BMW like handling in a Honda!
By Cobra podrapuss

2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I drove my friend's 2009 Honda Accord LX on a 250 mile road trip and I feel that I got a better enough feel of this car to write a review. At highway speeds the Accord has road noise and some wind noise and ride quality is not that good. The 4 cyl engine is noisy also vibrates alot at idle. This 8th generation Accord has a cheaper feeling interior as well. The car has extraordinary handling characteristics it tracks like a locomotive and it feels very stable at triple digit speeds. Power from engine was good too. The Accord has 50,000 miles and it never caused a single problem so I recommend this car to someone looking for a reliable sedan with sporty driving characteristics

Favorite Features

The BMW like handling, decent 4cyl power, A/C performs well, controls are intuitive, very roomy car, gas mileage good too, interior might be cheap but its durable, and Honda reliability

Suggested Improvements

ROAD NOISE! cheap interior, noisy cheap sounding engine, ride quality not good Honda should focus more on quality and comfort but should keep the sporty handling as well

I thought Hondas were reliable?
By dina972

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Few weeks after buying it- I had started to regret it- the exhaust was oily black soot. I took it in to be inspected and they said everything is fine because it passed emissions testing. LOL! Later, when I did casual inspection of the oil level, I noticed that it was dropping- but wasn't certain because I wasn't strict about it. I had attributed it to careless oil change-out. Long story short- I'm undergoing an oil consumption test because it consumed 1.5 qt in 7k mi. Car has 32k mi. I have little faith in them because they showed me Honda's acceptable consumption: 1 qt per 1000 miles.How's that for reliability? You think the car will pass ULEV that it claims drinking that much oil?

Favorite Features

I love the sunroof. I hate the uncomfortable seats. No problems with brakes, yet (only that they occasionally squeak when I tap them)

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to step up and take care of problems- mainly the oil consumption, loss of coolant, and also the rattling of outside components

Satisfied
By Argie

2009 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This is my second Accord and third Honda (I also own a Civic). After a year and five months, I can say that the results are good. It is a very comfortable car, the back seat is huge, ideal for long journeys (my two kids age 13 and 16 don't complain). I can even put two pairs of skis inside the car, no need for expensive add-ons. Reliability up to now has been OK, there is only a small rattle that comes from the right front seat head rest (when there is no one seating). In mi opinion, the seats are comfortable. Road noise could be less, but compared to my 2004 Civic is a huge improvement. I had no problems with brakes or paint, as some other reviews report. 4 Cyl engine is powerful enough.

Favorite Features

Design, build quality, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Add parking sensor and on-board computer.